Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
"Gew 98m rear sight beds also had an "sS" stamp added showing the sight adjusted for the newer, heavy sS bullet."
A Gew 98M rear sight base would sport Weimar proofs.
The base depicted above clearly shows party eagles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This rear sight base was manufactured by "Nähmatag - Nähmaschinenteile AG" in Dresden, usually it belongs to a K98k that was assembled by the company Gustloff-Werke in 1940 with the code "337 1940". The "S.S." is not a new marking, not postwar applied and not the German marking for sS bullet. That rifle was exported to Sweden and the "S.S." marking was applied in 1940 by the Swedish inspector Captain Sten Stenmo. In Sweden they called the rifle "Gevär m/1940".

Regards,
Stephan

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This rear sight base was manufactured by "Nähmatag - Nähmaschinenteile AG" in Dresden, usually it belongs to a K98k that was assembled by the company Gustloff-Werke in 1940 with the code "337 1940". The "S.S." is not a new marking, not postwar applied and not the German marking for sS bullet. That rifle was exported to Sweden and the "S.S." marking was applied in 1940 by the Swedish inspector Captain Sten Stenmo. In Sweden they called the rifle "Gevär m/1940".

Regards,
Stephan
Stephan, thank you kindly for your enlightening response. I wonder what I should do with it then. I was planning on installing it on a new barrel for a parts gun I'm building but feels a bit to rare for that!

Here's some more information from a thread over at the K98 forum from user "FSON"

"I have in my collection “some” of those rifles, to be exact one of each producer which was delivered to the Swedish army during the war. During my research and snoking around searching for information, and for all this very rifles, I have examined app. nineteen individuals in various condition, most of them really good.
All of them are inspected by the captains, Gustav Björkenstam (G.B.) or Sten Stenmo (S.S.) and all produced of 147, 243 and 337/1940.Of some unclear reason did GB often put his control stamp on the left side of the receiver, and SS put his under the sight ladder, something he also did on many ten tausends of rifles made by Husqvarna until 1946. He was also the control officer controlling nearly all weapons coming to use in the Swedish army from foreign countries during this period.Notable in Sweden today is the Army museum in Stockholm having three of this rifle, also one of each producer, furthermore two rifle m/39 which is a K98 k in its original configuration.
Me self-have three m/40, none of those is 100 % matching some minor parts have being changed out by repair, two have Swedish made barrels, optical exact as the original but without German stamps.
The main reason to that is they have being used some years after they were sold from the military."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.