Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Normally focus on other subjects, so am out of my element on this. I'm hoping some of the gurus will have some mercy and enlighten me some. Tried the search function but am not finding anything.

The background....
I recently picked up a group of items apparently sent home by a vet of WW1. I say "apparently" because I did not get it directly from the source. It came through a middle man who is still pillaging the estate and did not tell me any history on the grouping in order to keep his source secret.

In the grouping (pic below) was a 1917 BSA III*. While I am comfortable that everything else has for the most part not been touched since long ago, maybe even since right after WW1, I don't know UK stuff enough to feel comfortable saying that about the BSA yet.
While the patina, and dirt and all match everything else, I am thinking it is not ver common for a US soldier to have taken a British rifle home. So I am being a bit slow to call this one just yet. I want to confirm something first. So here is my question.... What type of a finish would have been on the stock of a 1917 BSA MkIII* from the factory in 1917 ???

Thanks for any light you can shed on this Guys !

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
2,925 Posts
Check it for British nitro proofs and/or the word 'ENGLAND' at where the barrel meets the receiver. Nitro proofs may be something like xx tons. Pre-68 imports would still have those before they were exported from the UK. If that was truly a 'bringback' it shouldn't have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts