Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas everyone, I got a Tikka M55 22-250 Australian S.A.S counter terrorism sniper rifle which was used by the members of 2nd Sqd during the eighties and the transit case the rifle belongs in is missing the night sight which I can't bear any longer, so I'm hoping that some one has some ideas on the type of sight that might have been used? The length of it's resting place is 189mm by 54mm at the widest point, hope the pic's might help. Thanks in advance,
Garth

·
Registered
158 Posts
I remember reading about these when the government decided to sell them. It caused quite a stir among the more paranoid about OPSEC, though the government posted the sale online. They were intended to be used against Australians (in the event of an uprising?) among other things, as the ricochet factor was low. That didn't go over well with Australian gun forum members.:eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike, so far from what I've been able to find out is that the government withdrew most from public sale and were sold to the state government departments such as the police tactical groups and the forestery services from where most were broken up and destroyed as per our so called wise government policies in this country( destroy rather than preserve)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Mike, so far from what I've been able to find out is that the government withdrew most from public sale and were sold to the state government departments such as the police tactical groups and the forestery services from where most were broken up and destroyed as per our so called wise government policies in this country( destroy rather than preserve)

Figures, eh? A lot of shooters on an Australian gun forum were highly pissed about these rifles being describes as they were. I don't think but a handful of Aussies bought one of them.
Shame to loose the history, nonetheless.

·
2,753 Posts
I can't help you with info on the night sight...yet. There is another of these rifles in a museum near where I work. I'll call in first chance I get and see if I can't find out more. Here's a pic I took (of the rifle above it...) but the info card for the Tikka (at the bottom)isn't readable.

Cheers,
Son.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I've contacted the Australian War Memorial and I'm currently awaiting their reply for some more infomation about the sight and rifle
Regards,
Garth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts