Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to thank Ham and Jack for help on this one...Ham I hope you can post the link with the other known original so it can spark some conversation about comparison between the two

this one is almost identical, it seems more complete and appears to have all original parts no replacements

Im helping to handle a large collection of a dear friend whos become very ill, say a prayer....this is one of many great things in it, along with a few questionable things like any large collection I suppose

hes had it for over twenty years, found in SWPA, and I just discovered when taking pics that it is ID'd, looks like Richard Heffran or Heffron, Speers PA under the buttplate

pics will do the talking

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Law's book is wrong (imo).. its 1937 these show up and the few known are in a small range, -of course the range is like 3 rifles that are real. This one is right in the middle of that range.

Plenty of frauds out there, I hear the "Rotary Club" of Las Vegas has a few and if one breaks in transit to you then will send a replacement free.. theirs are all 1940 dated so they have Backboner on the shelf too.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! And law's book states they were introduced in 1940.

I agree with sol on the not shooting it and I certainly say thanks for the photos.
That book has alot of good things in it and some bad info too as has been mentioned before

one other known that is considered real and is a b block 1937 s/243 as well

I found the link Ham provided http://www.lmd-militaria.com/page80.html

the one in the link is numbered 22, the one I posted 740 under the butt plate

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
There are 3 known or believed real (potentially) that I am aware of, only one other documented such as yours is.
One is in Germany (report only but described correct), one is a stock only (action m/m), and Leon's of course which is the best known.

Now there are four I think are potentially real (3 documented to one degree or another), though Backbone has one too though there is no information on it (serial range) so it could be one of the others already known.

Of course there are probably at least 740 made (yours is the highest stock number yet I have seen recorded – it isn’t the highest in the range of Borsigwalde production though so potentially we could have a higher number, if these were assembled sequentially, higher serial with high stock number.) This assumes all the stocks numbered were used though.

There is no doubt that other collectors know of others, as I have heard others mention knowing of one but as far as I have been able to identify, I know of 3 (now 4) rifles that have some information documented.

Yours is a fine rifle, and for once a rifle that is actually rare! Rare is heavily over used on forums but in this case it’s quite appropriate.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are 3 known or believed real (potentially) that I am aware of, only one other documented such as yours is.
One is in Germany (report only but described correct), one is a stock only (action m/m), and Leon's of course which is the best known.

Now there are four I think are potentially real (3 documented to one degree or another), though Backbone has one too though there is no information on it (serial range) so it could be one of the others already known.

Of course there are probably at least 740 made (yours is the highest stock number yet I have seen recorded – it isn’t the highest in the range of Borsigwalde production though so potentially we could have a higher number, if these were assembled sequentially, higher serial with high stock number.) This assumes all the stocks numbered were used though.

There is no doubt that other collectors know of others, as I have heard others mention knowing of one but as far as I have been able to identify, I know of 3 (now 4) rifles that have some information documented.

Yours is a fine rifle, and for once a rifle that is actually rare! Rare is heavily over used on forums but in this case it’s quite appropriate.

thanks very much, excellent posting

·
Gold Bullet member
300 Posts
I handled a matching example at a Louisville gunshow a few years back. I don't believe this is one of the three that you mention. I can't remember the owners name but Scott B was also there and knew the owner.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great rifle, I was always skeptical until I saw LMD's photoset a while back, and as SS said, this rifle dovetails perfectly into the observed range of these.

I recall IO having one listed a while back (may still be there) for some obscene anount, like $20,000?)

This truly is a rare specimen, thanks very much for sharing.

I can't wait to see what other treasures are in your friend's collection, I wish him well.

Any sniper related items? (hint)

Jeff

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.