Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a rusty beat-up FN 98 rifle. As you can see, it has a commercial FN mark on the reciever ring.

Note: To the right, near the handguard is a marking consisting of three verticle lines in a circle. I scraped off some of the rest to see it better. Is this a Japanease marking or something else entirely?

Best regards,
Greg

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Sorry, doesn't look to have been applied by the Japanese, but I don't know this kind of rifle. I'm sure someone else here does.

C/

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Law (The Japanese K98k) notes the only difference between the S42, 1937 and S42, 1938 rifles issued to German troops and those purchased by Japan was a "business stamp imprinted on the stock." (footnote 4)

Now here's something I somehow missed the many times I've scanned this book (no page #s) Footnote 4 reads, "The 'business stamp' mentioned in the specifications refers to the 'Mauser Banner' logo which is also seen on many of the Chinese K98k's. This stamp would be nearly identical to the Mauser Banner stamped onto the top of the Mauser 'Standard-Modell' and the Mauser Gewehr fuer Deutsche Reichspost. See the BACKBONE OF THE WEHRMACHT, pages 6, 10, 284 and 285."

Of course, without a documented, notarized statement signed by Adolph Hitler any S42, 1937 or 38 with the Mauser Banner stamped into the stock, even with bring back papers declaring it to be a rifle found in Japan, but with no serial number could be a fake and should be treated as such. Being Mr Gullible, just send them to me.

Why don't one of you with the technical expertise (03hombre?) post the "Mauser Banner" logo so the grasshoppers can learn?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
Ok,
I'll dig out my 1930 Broomhandle stock tomorrow and take a picture of the Mauser banner.

Or maybe I can just take a picture of the picture in the book.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts