Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a gunshop the other day looking at their milsurps, and spotted a South American Mauser that had a very unique finish; it looked like black phosphate, or perhaps a matt black arsenal blueing (for want of a better term). I picked it up from the upright rack and turned it over for a closer inspection. I had never seen anything like this finish; it just looked strange, and the top of the receiver was buffed smooth prior to the black re-finish, so no date or crest.
When I opened the bolt, I saw overspray on the magazine follower! Some idiot had actually spray-painted the entire rifle, simply masking-off the stock! Was it barbeque paint? Maybe engine paint? Was it the cheap $1.99 can of spray paint from Home Depot? I lightly scratched the trigger guard with my fingernail, and sure enough, black paint flaked off! Price? $400.00!
Bubbafied? You be the judge! I think these types of rifles should have "BBF" stamped on their receivers along with the "arsenal stamp" of a three-tooth smile! :p

Along with any comments on this, how about describing the worst "bubba" guns you've seen, or were unfortunate enough to have (unknowingly) purchased.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Something like the camo-painted FN-49 I saw in a gun shop. I see 870s and other shotguns painted like this occasionally, apparently somebody around here considers himself an artiste, but the FN-49 was too much. You'd have to strip the paint off to see what condition the collectible gun was in. (Maybe that was the plan)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
About 5 years ago I was in the local gun store browsing the used-gun racks when I spotted this brand new Rem 700 for $200. Close examination revealed that it had been spray painted matte black. But, for $200 I couldn't resist. Took it home, removed the stock and noted that EVERYTHING except the wood had been painted. Sights, screws, magazine, trigger, bolt, inside, outside. Everything! A few minutes with a paint brush and Ace Hardware paint remover and under it all was a pracitcally new M700. I took it back to the gun store and showed it to the man and he said he wasn't surprised. He had taken it in trade because the previous owner had said it "kept jamming". He (gun store guy) said that he considered stripping the paint hisself but he wasn't sure what he would find underneath so decided to let the new buyer see if he had won the lottery. To make it even better, it was chambered for the original 7mm Remington Express, now known as the 280 Remington.

Ray

·
Registered
356 Posts
I will never forget the first gun show I went to as a kid, looking to buy my first M-1 Graned. They had a M-1 there that had been converted into a pump action, the whole front handguard was compleatly redone by Bubba attaching it to the op rod somehow, it was loose, ratteled, and waobaly. Don't even know if it worked, needless to say I did not buy that one but did find a 1944 Springfield M-1 that I did buy.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Went to a gun show and saw a guy that had three rifles painted flat black,obviously with the same can of Krylon.As I recall,one was a 1903A3,one was an Enfield,and I don't remember the third one.I asked him who in the world had painted them,and he acted insulted.He told me "That's not paint.It's Pakistani stain".

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
How many Pakis does it take to make a gallon?...LOL typical Idjut with the typical make it up as you go BS..

I dont do bubba unless its restorable but heres my favorite "Bolt" action ever:

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I do finish my AKs in Duplicolor Engine Enamel spray paint. Cheap, durable, heat resistant, comes in lots of colors and semi-gloss black is perfect. It takes a while to cure hard but if you scratch it or chip it a couple minutes with fine sandpaper and a Pffft from the can and its all better.

NOT what you want on a traditional firearm. But since I consider the AK47 to be a work of mechanical art on the same scale as the Swingline Stapler the Duplicolor spray is just fine on it.

I once bought a little .25 pistol. It had been dipped in a bucket of black paint to "refinish" it. Got it cheap once I convinced the seller that "Frabrique d'Arme's de Grand Precision" was NOT the same as "Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre" and that it was Spanish, made in Eibar, not a Browning made in Belgium.

Took a while to get it disassembled and paint stripped because the parts were stuck together, required stripping, disaasemble what loosened enough, dip in stripper again, repeat. Once I got it apart it was in surprisingly good shape, and actually shot better, was more accurate, and was a better design than my Colt 1908 Vestpocket.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i think some rifles were actually done at the arsenal. i've seen to many spanish 93's and 1916's that were in very good condition but painted black to blame bubba for it. i've also seen a lot of gew98's that were converted after WWI and painted black.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i think some rifles were actually done at the arsenal. i've seen to many spanish 93's and 1916's that were in very good condition but painted black to blame bubba for it. i've also seen a lot of gew98's that were converted after WWI and painted black.
And let's not forget the Enfeilds!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
In the 1940's England, Belgium, and France discovered that paint made an excellent gun finish. It was cheap, fast to apply, especially if baked on, very durable, and easy to refinish, even in the field if needed.

After the war a lot of countries were preparing to go to auto rifles but needed to keep the old rifles in service or as reserves, and a fast coat of paint served quite well as a finish.
One popular European paint finish looks like a smooth parkerized gray finish. It was common for people to clean these up with paint thinner as a degreaser only to have what they thought was a parkerized finish bubble up and come off.
And, I've seen some pretty crude paint finishes applied by South American countries, so don't always blame an American Bubba.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
How many Pakis does it take to make a gallon?...LOL typical Idjut with the typical make it up as you go BS..

I dont do bubba unless its restorable but heres my favorite "Bolt" action ever:
OMFG!!!!

Someone sawed off the handle, drilled and tapped the action bolt assy, and threaded in and welded A MACHINE BOLT into place!!!!!!!

Oh geezzzzzzz.........................

I'd have never dreamed.....................

·
Registered
677 Posts
Rustoleum Professional Grade spray paint does a AK fantastic, once it cures (about a month) its durable.......I also refinished a HK collapsible stock in Rustoleum and it looks as good as the day I sprayed it., near perfect color match.

Dont hate the paint, hate the painter for not knowing how to use it.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Another Euro-paint oddity. The Polish Tantal came with a coat of a really crummy black paint. Try using anything to clean it and it comes off revealing a very fine Parkerized finish underneath.

And that "Bolt"?

There used to be directions and pictures on the internet of installing a low scope bolt handle on, if I recall correctly, a Swedish Mauser. It involved cutting off the original but leaving the square base, drilling and tapping that at a low angle to the vertical, and installing a handle from a camera tripod or something that had a threaded end.
GROSS! But the perpetrator claimed it worked well.

Found another Mosin "Bolt" looking for it:

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,339 Posts
Another Euro-paint oddity. The Polish Tantal came with a coat of a really crummy black paint. Try using anything to clean it and it comes off revealing a very fine Parkerized finish underneath.

And that "Bolt"?

There used to be directions and pictures on the internet of installing a low scope bolt handle on, if I recall correctly, a Swedish Mauser. It involved cutting off the original but leaving the square base, drilling and tapping that at a low angle to the vertical, and installing a handle from a camera tripod or something that had a threaded end.
GROSS! But the perpetrator claimed it worked well.

Found another Mosin "Bolt" looking for it:
Uurp.

My No.4 MArk 1, Savage 1943, US Property-marked, went to Fazakerly for FTR in 1947 and the finish is the black paint job (Suncorite?). Ain't nothin' I;ve ued yet has touched it, though I haven't tried MEK or EasyOff oven cleaner yet - and don't intend to.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,662 Posts
Seems like I remember hearing a story some years ago about old Russian muskets used in one of Peter the Great's wars against the Turks. They were covered in some sort of black paint or something. A buyer stripped it off thinking it was a Bubba job only to find out later the Russians had done this on purpose to keep the sun from glinting off the shiny wood 300 years earlier. I guess the lesson is, sometimes a Bubba job is not a Bubba job and it pays to do your homework.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems like I remember hearing a story some years ago about old Russian muskets used in one of Peter the Great's wars against the Turks. They were covered in some sort of black paint or something. A buyer stripped it off thinking it was a Bubba job only to find out later the Russians had done this on purpose to keep the sun from glinting off the shiny wood 300 years earlier. I guess the lesson is, sometimes a Bubba job is not a Bubba job and it pays to do your homework.
I may have read the same article, probably in NRA's "American Rifleman" magazine; the Crimean War of the 1850s?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.