Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son works on a ranch here in central TX and we went out for a day of pest control and plinking on Saturday. Very wet day but everything and everyone was fine except when I had everything out for plinking and the skies opened up. EVERYTHING was soaking wet within 5 minutes and I spent the day on Sunday drying it out. Took 6 rifles and three pistols. Everyone one of them was stripped completely with absolutely no problems.Except my Remington 22-250. It has the new-fangled finish on it and as you can see - it immediately started rusting. I'm afraid the rust is under the finish and not familiar with this type of finish. I'll be surfing the net and reading today - just curious on any thoughts or suggestions.

Oh, and to make the day perfect - I missed a 225 yd shot at a pig that evening....

·
Registered
952 Posts
I would suggest a soak in Kroil to get the whole thing started, it won't hurt and will get into any crevice or void.

Good luck, and if it makes you feel better I missed a 75 yd. shot at a pig with my Krag as it was too dark to really see the crosshairs on my scope. Better luck next time!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
Disassemble, rub gently with brass wool and motor oil. And from then on use a greasy rag and RIG or Penn Reel Grease to wipe everything. Firearm blueing and parkerizing are useless unless you use a rust protectant on them and I've found a heavy grease to be much more effective than any oil.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i do that new fangled finish...lol...its plain ol beadblast blue finish,.. if its not that bad under the grud, after you clean it, use a small acid brush and dab light grease over the rifle, and rub with an oily rag

·
Platinum Bullet member
21,100 Posts
I'd avoid rubbing it with anything more abrasive than either flannel or denim material. Years ago I bought some Blue Wonder Bore cleaner - mediocre & pricey bore cleaner at best, but it Excels at removing light surface rust without disturbing blued finishes.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Disassemble, rub gently with brass wool and motor oil.
Not to hijack the thread but: Where do you get your brass wool? The only place I found that carried it around here was Ace Hardware. I went there last week and ordered some in since they didn't have any on their shelves. When I picked it up yesterday they told me that was the last package in the warehouse and that the item was being discontinued. I can find it online but a local place would be great.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
Home Depot had it last I looked, but its not on their online catalog any more. Any good woodworking store should have it. It's very usefull for cleanups since it doesn't damage steel and blued surfaces nearly as much as steel wool.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,474 Posts
Home Depot had it last I looked, but its not on their online catalog any more. Any good woodworking store should have it. It's very usefull for cleanups since it doesn't damage steel and blued surfaces nearly as much as steel wool.
We have a hardware store ehre that is going out of business, at least as far as retail sales are concerned (gonna keep their shop and lawn-mower and garden stuff). Was in yesterday and saw a couple of pads of copper mesh (pure copper), so i grabbed them. Works same as brass or bronze wool.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I recently discovered mr clean majic erasers, the ones you used on counters and sheetrock walls to take off marks, do great on very mild surface rust. I have used them in this exact same situation on an old winchester and a mossberg maverick, with great results. They are like a buck a peice, and can last forever. Rough rust will eat them up, but light rust comes right off and polishes the blueing up as well. I assume it is abrasive, but so mildly abrasive that it doesnt leave mark at all

·
Silver Bullet member
55,477 Posts
plain kerosene and strips or tee shirts or blue jean materials soak in "K" wrapped tight around the barrel action...
PUT in out of sun a few days... all wrapped up tight and wet.... the hot sun will do 75 % of the work....then take those strips in a shoe shinning motion to areas rusted.....
if this does it then clean as usual....if not repeat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.