Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rust removal
Topic:

Topic author: Ronin48
Subject: Rust removal
Posted on: 12/08/2006 7:50:35 PM
Note that a number of you use 0000 steel wool and oil. Have you ever compared this with the 'nickel wool?'? I use the latter and have had excellent results, never had any blue removed. I would think that the steel wool, if used with a 'heavy hand' and oil, even quad-0 wool, could remove blue? By heavy hand I mean 'scrubing' enugh to remove the rust.​

Replies:

Reply author: Bushido101
Replied on: 12/08/2006 8:09:51 PM
Doss I have had a real problem finding, brass,bronze or nickle wool, where did you find it ?

Reply author: krusty990
Replied on: 12/09/2006 07:35:31 AM
For Bronze wool try Brownells.com. Make sure to ask for a catalog.

Reply author: type-14
Replied on: 12/09/2006 08:04:06 AM
If you happen to live near the boating world most Marina’s or Marine Supply stores carry Bronze wool as well. Pack of 3 pads (fine) was less than $7.00 last time I picked some up.

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 12/09/2006 10:26:14 AM
I ordered my last batch, occasionally see it at shows in packages. Next time will get the address and post.

Following under "No vice like advice" If you get one of those pocket calandars you never use it's great for making notes at gun shows. Slip it in a vest or back pocket along with a pen and you have an 'instant memory.' Frank Allan would like to have data on every 2nd series Kokura carbine you encounter, even if just the SN.

Reply author: davef
Replied on: 12/09/2006 10:37:38 AM
I have at least one 2nd series ,if'n you mean the T38C, maybe more than one...ILL dig em out tonight and look

Reply author: Francis C. Allan
Replied on: 12/09/2006 11:17:33 AM
Bronze wool was recently added to the stock of my local Home Depot.

Frank

Replied on: 12/09/2006 1:24:58 PM
The material I'm discussing looks like bright metal, maybe 1/32 to 1/16 inch wide, resembles a Brillo pad. Will remove rust, does not touch blue. Bought 0000 steel wool this AM, plan to drag out a rusty barreled action and see what happens. Later.

Reply author: Garnett Stancil
Replied on: 12/09/2006 6:34:50 PM
Walmart has a stainless or nickel steel wool that I have used with great success. It takes away the rust and leaves the blue. You would not think the gun was the same one you looked at earlier. I don't have the name of the Wal-Mart brand stuff, but it is about one quarter the cost of the brand sold by gun shops that the ElOldOne is talking about. A rose by any other name still smells a sweet. Doss by any other name is still Doss! :)

Reply author: akb
Replied on: 12/11/2006 12:15:17 AM
Sorry to chime in so late in the game, but what the heck!
I've run big electolysis labs, cleaning artifacts from the Civil War found in water wells in Austin, TX. Actually think I found dewatted Tryon Model 1842 Mississippi rifles in one privy, along with a bunch of 1842 Sword bayonet belts and fasteners. No one had ever been able to account for these.
I believe that when the South lost, the North swept in and decommissioned everything, even those antiquated firearms in the National Guard, or equivalent, armories. Anyway, electrolysis is unbeatable, but it also takes away the bluing, so the moment you expose them to air, they begin to rust. I use to take them right out of the bath and cold-blue everything, then suspend each specimen in a heat oven, and subsequently coat them with polyurethane. I bought gallons of the matte polyurethane, and took the fluid off of the surface of an un-stirred can, to get the matted finish, without all those silicone components. Had satisfactory results, holding the blue and and un-oxidized surface for more than 30 years.
If any rust appeared, I had obviously missed that part, so I cleaned it again, and re-coated. One of the interesting things about polyurethane is it does not stick to itself unless the surface is upset. But that's another story.
Like most of you, I've tried everything.
When I was up in Wyoming, I ran into a mechanical engineer that was responsible for the Trona mines, and he told me there was nothing in the inventory like AERO KROIL. Well, I thought, what does this guy know about firearms, then I found out he wanted one example of every firearm that had been made in the 20th century and had most of them(so, he really knew a lot about rifles, etc). Anyway, after a lot of jaw-boning, I relieved him of several of the firearms, and a couple of cans of KROIL.
To cut to the chase, with bronze wool and aero-kroil, you will get absolutely amazing results. The rust will go into solution, the pits will appear and the rust disappear, and the item will be surprisingly clean. I can only compare it to a fairly long exposure to electronic high-frequency cleaning, but I never had a vat long enough to do that on a cleaning rod.
But like steel wool, watch out for the bronze wool, I've been picking it out of my fingers for the last several days.

Replied on: 12/12/2006 7:59:36 PM
responsible for the Trona mines, and he told me there was nothing in the inventory like AERO KROIL.

A Friend of mine recommended Kroil. I tried un-successfully to purchase it locally. I emailed the company asking where it was available, as they would only ship to wholesalers, not individual sales. I got no response from them. I suppose they did not want my small sale nor had time to tell me where I might find their product.

Reply author: Capt Zorro
Replied on: 12/12/2006 9:21:29 PM
I found some at the local ACE Hardware awhile back. Midway also carries it. Do a Google search and you'll find a bunch of places that sell it.

Reply author: garfield
Replied on: 12/13/2006 4:10:32 PM

Reply author: Bill B
Replied on: 12/13/2006 6:51:01 PM
Big Ed and myself have been using a product similar to what Doss is talking about.Its a by product of stainless steel lathe cuttings, as Doss states it looks like a heavy duty scrub pad. The first time I used it I was sweating it out thinking I was going to damage the finish on the gun.The stuff worked like a miracle and I have never touched 4/0 steel wool again.Not to sound like a salesman but I've even used this on early Colt finishes for little spots of rust and had perfect 100% results.

Replied on: 12/13/2006 6:55:18 PM
This thread reminds me about the old joke about the country plumber that wrote the government on using hydrochloric acid to clean pipes. He received a very stilted, almost impossible to understand reply in 'governmentize.' He wrote back his thanks for their help and he would go ahead and use the acid. Along came another 'governmentize' reply. He wrote back his thanks again and noted he would clean the pipes with acid. Finally the government wrote back, "DON'T USE THE ACID, IT EATS THE HELL OUT OF THE PIPES!"

To remove rust just use the 'special alloy' material that '45 Gun Shop' in SD sells.

Reply author: Bill B
Replied on: 12/13/2006 7:17:33 PM

Replied on: 12/13/2006 11:27:26 PM
we have several ace hardwares near by. i will try them. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rust Remova,l Part 2 -Doss- 12/06

Rust Remova,l Part 2

Topic:

Topic author: Ronin48
Subject: Rust Remova,l Part 2
Posted on: 12/11/2006 10:53:53 PM
The material I mentioned in the other post on this subject is "Metal Cleaner Rust & Dirt Remover," a "special alloy" sold by Frontier Gun Shop,, POB 270 Hill City, SD 57745, 800/342-1548. (I've had this pack at least 10 if not 15 years so they may have an email address now.)

Someone mentioned K or Wal-Mart sells a similar product cheaper? Think I bought 10 packs for $20 or $25 some years back. I've seen them for $5.00/pack at AL shows so must be cheaper in bulk. Tried it against 0000 steel wool and oil. Steel wool will remove blue if used long enough, this material will not.

The material would is sponge-like and would flatten enough to mail in a padded envelope, probably less than $1.00 postage. Several could chip in, buy whatever it takes to get a discount and the person reeciving could ship it to the others at cost or slightly above.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts