Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that the Russian army, police, etc. are dropping both the Makarov pistol and AK47 in favor of newer model weapons. If this is so, should we expect a flood of Mak's and Ak's on the market?:confused:

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
It is so. Makarov.com was talking with IzhMech a few years ago and found out that they stopped making PM back in 2005, now they only make them when they have a profitable contract and maybe not even then.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
I read somewhere that the Russian army, police, etc. are dropping both the Makarov pistol and AK47 in favor of newer model weapons.
The Soviet/Russian Army haven't used AK-47s for nearly 50 years. they have been issued with AKMs, then with AK-74 (5.45) variants. the 5.45 is the mainstay of the Russian army, but they have been slowly introducting the AK-100 series for quite some time, as a replacement.

as for pistols, the PM has been out of production for quite a while now and has been replaced with Yarygin PYa / MP-443 "Grach” pistol as the sidearm of the Russian Army

it's has a larger mag capacity and is chamber for the 9x19, and I belive it also can fire the +P+ Russian 9mm 7N31 armor piercing round

If this is so, should we expect a flood of Mak's and Ak's on the market?:confused:
that is not going to happen, so you can quit holding your breath :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
The PM (Makarov) will likely remain in service with beat cops and some elements of the Russian military for quite some time. I suspect the time frame for replacement will depend more upon oil revenues than anything else. As noted above the AK-47 and even the AKM have been out of general issue in the Russian military for quite some time. What they've done with these weapons is an interesting question. Quite likely they have been warehoused as secondary standards, heavily used in training, and funneled into the hands of various allies and proxies the world over. Perhaps someone will post a solid answer to the question.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
The PM (Makarov) will likely remain in service with beat cops and some elements of the Russian military for quite some time. I suspect the time frame for replacement will depend more upon oil revenues than anything else. As noted above the AK-47 and even the AKM have been out of general issue in the Russian military for quite some time. What they've done with these weapons is an interesting question. Quite likely they have been warehoused as secondary standards, heavily used in training, and funneled into the hands of various allies and proxies the world over. Perhaps someone will post a solid answer to the question.
I think AK-47 and AKM went to Middle East, Africa, Cuba. I think the PLO kits were milled and stamped AK, so that account for AK-47 and AKM.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
man, it would be cool to get some true russian aks again. No matter how well used. You can bet after what happened with the first that if it were legal in ANY way that the importers would be all over it like white on rice.....Or flies on shit, whatever your prefered analogy.......

·
Registered
843 Posts
Regarding the Saiga -- you may be interested to know that an MVD officer (now retired) that I know told me that variant, or one very close to it, was available for civilian purchase in the Russian Federation. I distinctly remember him referring to it and commenting on the ease with which a purchaser could filed down an internal weld that blocks the mag well from accepting standard AK mags. So, my friends, we are very very close to seeing US second ammendment rights law stripped down to a level matching those of common Russian subjects. And I do mean subjects. Nice feeling, eh? We could be stripped of our rights to a level below them pretty soon, actually. It's definitely time to start pouring bucks into the NRA's coffers again. I say that as a simple dues paying member, btw. I hold no other interest or status with the NRA than that.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It's definitely time to start pouring bucks into the NRA's coffers again. I say that as a simple dues paying member, btw. I hold no other interest or status with the NRA than that.
Begemot, you are right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.