1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
These are some tough looking soldiers, and I'll bet they endured a lot (more than what youngsters today can imagine). Each had a life, a story behind him, each had probably seen things that we could only wonder at. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to sit with a few of these men, drinking beer and listening to their experiences?

I wonder which, if any, survived the Great War....

Karl-Heinz, ich danke Ihnen, dass Sie diese mit uns geteilt.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Very nice picture! Thanks for posting it. That is one I had not seen yet.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Thanks Karl-Heinz, great photo.
Why are they wearing two types of headgear?
Mark
I'm curious too. I was going to ask the same.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,081 Posts
It was really up to the individual soldiers as to which headgear they felt comfortable to wear at the time, you will see pictures of the Russians wearing three or four different types of headgear in one picture, somewhere I have one of them wearing the regulation field cap, woolly hat, side cap and Adrian helmet.

Patrick

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks Karl-Heinz, great photo.
Why are they wearing two types of headgear?
Mark
Same reason as the South had all types of headgear during the war between the states 1861-65. The Russians I think fielded close to 10 to 11 million troops under arms during WWI from Aug 1914 till when the Bolsheviks came to power in Oct 1917. That was a lot of troops to equip, so most of the time you was given what ever was on hand and was happy that you received something.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
Hello Gents,

Great photo Karl-Heinz! Nice to have you around my Friend. ;>)

This is a great example of how un-uniform many units uniforms were! And these Lads are better equipped than most! Three types of hat or cap are worn, i.e. the ferashka, the papahka and the pre-WWI visor-less version of the ferashka, the name of which I can't recall off the top of my head? Some of the trousers are different colors as well.

Note the mixture of wartime canvas ammunition pouches with the standard leather M1893 ammunition pouches.

Great photo of Ivan with his "Game Face" on!

Welcome back Karl-Heinz!

Warmest regards,

John

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Gents,

Great photo Karl-Heinz! Nice to have you around my Friend. ;>)

This is a great example of how un-uniform many units uniforms were! And these Lads are better equipped than most! Three types of hat or cap are worn, i.e. the ferashka, the papahka and the pre-WWI visor-less version of the ferashka, the name of which I can't recall off the top of my head? Some of the trousers are different colors as well.

Note the mixture of wartime canvas ammunition pouches with the standard leather M1893 ammunition pouches.

Great photo of Ivan with his "Game Face" on!

Welcome back Karl-Heinz!

Warmest regards,

John
Hi John

I hope I will be able to post more often than in the last year. my friend.

Good to talk to you again!

Warmest regards
KH

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
Hi Clayshooter2

I do not know if the forum wants new quizzes, but I still have some.

Regards
KH
HA! Karl-Heinz! Even though I could never answer your quizzes, I thoroughly enjoyed the info contained in them.

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
Re the older men...one must remember that The Tsarist army had "Long Term" Draftees...Jews were required to do up to 20 Years (Yes, Twenty) military service; and any Soldier committing a "Stockade" Offence, would simply have several years added to his Term of Service ( Cheaper than sending him to a Military prison ); of Course, the really Bad types were sent to Penal Battalions ( an Institution which the Red Army Maintained in WW II)

The Variety of Uniforms and equipment shows the Poverty of the Army in General, even after the Disaster of the 1904 Russo-Japanese War; What reforms were put in place before WWI were, as usually, too little, too Late.

Doc AV

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.