Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winchester doesn't have russian "P" acceptance mark, but has Spanish Civil War mark on the butt-stock. It has serial number 360K. Was it shipped to Russia and then to Spain or butt-stock is just a replacement part? Is it possible that gun was shipped to Spain from some other country?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,430 Posts
Winchester doesn't have russian "P" acceptance mark, but has Spanish Civil War mark on the butt-stock. It has serial number 360K. Was it shipped to Russia and then to Spain or butt-stock is just a replacement part? Is it possible that gun was shipped to Spain from some other country?
Almost anything is possible - the problem being it is almost impossible to determine which possibility is factual instead of merely speculative.

·
Silver Bullet member
315 Posts
It *probably* went to Spain from Russia, although the 1895 also ended up in Finland, Poland and maybe some other countries. But it's my understanding that the bulk of the 7.62x54R 1895s that came back to the US did so by going from the US to Russia to Spain then back home.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's my understanding that the bulk of the 7.62x54R 1895s that came back to the US did so by going from the US to Russia to Spain then back home.
Thank you very much for information! Those rifles are expensive. This one that I am going to buy is $2500. Is it good price for the 7.62x54R 1895s?

·
Silver Bullet member
34,847 Posts
If it is "intact" (still has stripper clip guide, military rear sight, bayonet lug, handguard) and un-buuba'ed thats a decent price.

at the MD Arms Collector show, any 1895 in semi-decent shape was clocking in over a grand. I kinda kicking myself for passing on a Saddle Ring Carbine in .30-06 with issues for $1,200

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,430 Posts
Looks pretty good, better condition than a lot you see - honest wear but doesn't appear to have been refinished, and still complete military as delivered configuration. I'd call that a reasonable price these days, myself.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congrats! Very Nice Find! That's a great price for something in that condition. As Clyde notes, it is much better than most you'll find (If you can find one). I am reposting some pics of mine for what it's worth(the original pics were lost when the boards went to the new system). I paid more so consider yourself lucky. I think mine had the stock replaced a long time ago. She's going to the range today. Welcome to the club. How's the bore on yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think mine had the stock replaced a long time ago. She's going to the range today. Welcome to the club. How's the bore on yours?
Bore has strong rifling and light pitting.
WOW! 102K serial number. Your gun should be one of the first Winchesters delivered to Russsia! How can you tell if stock was replaced or not?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Bore has strong rifling and light pitting.
WOW! 102K serial number. Your gun should be one of the first Winchesters delivered to Russsia! How can you tell if stock was replaced or not?
No cartouche or marks at all on my stock and even more telling is the fact that it looks as nice as it does. Was likely replaced a long time ago during one of it's stop-overs before landing in the states.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,050 Posts
These are some poor pictures of my 2 Russians. One is a high serial number & the other is a low serial number. The low serial number has a worn bore with plenty of rifling left. The bore shown is the high serial numbered one. The worn one is the one that the blow hard dealer at the Market Hall Show in Dallas said was a fake!
One shows the 2 new handguards I had made & stained with Mahogany stain.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,050 Posts
Sorry, I didn't understand,
Which one is fake? Why?
Neither one is fake, only the wild claim from a bona fide idiot.

On a previous post a member told about a dealer that claimed I was trying to sell a faked Russian musket for high dollars at the last Market Hall Show in Dallas.

Just who would even attempt such a fool idea, destroy a good Winchester to make a worn Russian musket in 7.62 X 54.

If you look at the green tag you can see what a high price I had on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts