Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Looks pretty cool. I think you did ok, that stock looks very similar to one that Richard has posted about before.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,640 Posts
I almost bought that one when it was $250 last month. Then several times after that. Glad you got it; it was on my watch list again, and I have another daughters wedding coming up.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I almost bought that one when it was $250 last month. Then several times after that. Glad you got it; it was on my watch list again, and I have another daughters wedding coming up.
yeah the price kept dropping. It got too cheap to pass up and give it a closer look. I'm sure it would have been long gone if it was properly listed/titled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
my first mosin was a Chinese type 53 M44 copy. It was beat, with no finish left and wood trashed. Numbers matching except the bolt and I paid 100 bucks for it with intentions of sporterizing it, until I got to reading up on the Chinese supplying Vietnamese with arms before, during and after the war. I cannot find one single import stamp/mark on it. I'm leaning towards a Vietnam bringback, of coarse I have no proof, but for the price and possible history... I'm leaving it alone.

·
Copper Bullet Member
11,989 Posts
VC had habit of burying arms/munitions and digging them up much later. Two monsoon seasons could rust a nail away. M44 has typical look of buried arms that were found unearthed, captured, inventoried and subsequently burned, run over with dozers and reburied by US forces. I have no doubt they have /were unearthed again by Vietnams scrap steel recovery program. Think about that when youre driving around in you car made from Asian steel.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Very cool rifle you purchased! My gunsmith a while back had a captured M44 as well that had a handmade Mosin stock from that time period. Though I can't say for sure if it was 100% legit, the quick construction job on it made me want to say it was pretty legit. None of the wood had that "new" look to it and it has a lot of the "been there done that" feel and look to it as well.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,285 Posts
my first mosin was a Chinese type 53 M44 copy. It was beat, with no finish left and wood trashed. Numbers matching except the bolt and I paid 100 bucks for it with intentions of sporterizing it, until I got to reading up on the Chinese supplying Vietnamese with arms before, during and after the war. I cannot find one single import stamp/mark on it. I'm leaning towards a Vietnam bringback, of coarse I have no proof, but for the price and possible history... I'm leaving it alone.

That looks one of the more recent Albanian T-53's. There should be an import mark somewhere on it. I have several and they are great shooters but the stocks are beat up and have dings. VN Bringbacks wouldn't have that nice of metal on them. If you can't find one at all, I have no idea but it just doesn't look beat up enough for a VN bringback IMO.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Just because it isnt beat up enough doesnt mean its not a VN bringback. Richard has a couple of papered bringbacks that look brand new. I saw a brand new T56 SKS with papers at the SOS a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
23,404 Posts
Just because it isnt beat up enough doesnt mean its not a VN bringback. Richard has a couple of papered bringbacks that look brand new. I saw a brand new T56 SKS with papers at the SOS a couple of years ago.
Agreed. Martin08's Type 63 North Korean made SKS is another example of an obvious bring back in excellent condition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That looks one of the more recent Albanian T-53's. There should be an import mark somewhere on it. I have several and they are great shooters but the stocks are beat up and have dings. VN Bringbacks wouldn't have that nice of metal on them. If you can't find one at all, I have no idea but it just doesn't look beat up enough for a VN bringback IMO.

Any idea where I might find any import marks? I've taken the stock off and inspected it fairly extensively. Can't find anything. it is fairly beat up and pitted imo. I don't want to make up stories or anything like that. Like I said, I bought it strictly to sporterize it and once I started researching changed my mind. I got it from an old guy that was going to sell it to a gun shop for 65 bucks and I nudged him and told him I'd give him 100 bucks for it. It didn't have one spec of cosmoline on/in it. He didn't know much about it, got it from one of his buddies 15-20 years ago and had never shot it, just sat in the gunsafe with his other antiques.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,285 Posts
Any idea where I might find any import marks? I've taken the stock off and inspected it fairly extensively. Can't find anything. it is fairly beat up and pitted imo. I don't want to make up stories or anything like that. Like I said, I bought it strictly to sporterize it and once I started researching changed my mind. I got it from an old guy that was going to sell it to a gun shop for 65 bucks and I nudged him and told him I'd give him 100 bucks for it. It didn't have one spec of cosmoline on/in it. He didn't know much about it, got it from one of his buddies 15-20 years ago and had never shot it, just sat in the gunsafe with his other antiques.
I stand corrected as far as the condition and it not possibly being a bringback. If it was a recent Albanian Import, it would be the billboard stamp on the left side of the receiver. Nice rifle!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.