Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired the 1950r Tula and wanted to see how it stacked up against my Yugo.

Both rifles are in excellent condition and I rate the bores as A to A+. The 1950r was very clean and had been kept in great condition and the owner stated he may have had 10 rounds out of it, but I think that was just talk. The condition of the bore, like I said, was in at least A condition and the appearance was fantastic, so I grabbed it for $470 plus 500 rounds of 22lr. My cost in this rifle is about $510/520.

Top photo are the 2 rifles.

Bottom pic are the results at 100 yds.

Both rifles shot from the prone position with the barrel resting on a ruck sack (no sled used).

The Yugo rounds are indicated by the 5 small black pieces of tape. The 1950r by the 5 bullet holes unmarked. The diameter of the purple plate is 9 inches, The length of the orange tape is 4.5 inches

Wind was blowing left to right, at 5-10 MPH (estimated).

Used Wolf Performance ammo.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
So these are roughly 5 MOA groups? They all meet the famed "minute of pie plate."
My Yugo with a 4X POS scope can get down to 3MOA from the bench with good milsurp, while my Tula does about 4 MOA with iron sights, so you are pretty close to what I am getting after a lot of screwing around. I'm interested in
seeing what my "new" Chinese "ghost rifle" with milled receiver and screw-on barrel can do, but haven't had a chance to test it.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,249 Posts
. . . I'm interested in
seeing what my "new" Chinese "ghost rifle" with milled receiver and screw-on barrel can do, but haven't had a chance to test it.
The following group is typical of what my Sino-Soviet letter rifle is doing (though with Tula ammo, which could be part of the problem). I'm hoping it performs better with different ammo. I have some PPU to try when I get a chance, don't know if I'm "into" SKSs enough to handload for them. Orange circle is 3":

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Finding good ammo always an issue . If you can find Chinese or yugo ammo your groupings will be better . Lapua or there's federal I haven't tried yet

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was pleased with the results for 3 reasons:

1. Tula performed well. Great looking rifle and a fine shooter.

2. With a sled the groupings should be smaller

3. Sunday was the 4th consecutive day I've been running a fever. I was weak and just having issues getting rounds down range.

I have 1000s of Russian steel rounds in x39, but not much else. Maybe 40 rounds of Winchester brass cased. Been saving that...

·
Registered
21,269 Posts
I was pleased with the results for 3 reasons:
1. Tula performed well. Great looking rifle and a fine shooter.
2. With a sled the groupings should be smaller
3. Sunday was the 4th consecutive day I've been running a fever. I was weak and just having issues getting rounds down range. I have 1000s of Russian steel rounds in x39, but not much else. Maybe 40 rounds of Winchester brass cased. Been saving that...
The guy was the walking dead yesterday, considering that, the results of tests hardly demonstrate a definitive result for either rifle. I would classify results of what a wounded soldier might shoot at 100 yds with some very fine condition SKS rifles. I saw the tests... he should have stayed in bed. Ammo: 762x39 is massed produced but hardly made in match grade. I am sure great quality hand loads for this caliber will show some impressive gains in 100 yd accuracy tests. Someone might want to show his results doing this some time .

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To do that right I would need to load dev to determine most accurate load. Too much time & effort for these guns...

Someday, maybe, but that day is not today.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
I've used about every brand of X39 imported ammo sent here since 1989 in probably 40 different SKS. As of late, the Wolf coming in now is pretty hard to beat. I think Barnaul is making this batch as I recall.
But the best two I have found since 1989 is the no longer available actual Hungarian 126gr made in Hungary by MFS and my Yugo M67 Military Surplus in the brass cases. When I just want to burn some ammo, I am using mostly Wolf as I conserve the Yugo and Hungarian.

My by far most accurate SKS are the Yugoslavian built original M59. I like the Yugo hammer forged barrels best as used on the M59 and later M59/66 rifle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.