Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about relative collector value. Which would you consider the most valuable as a collector piece:

a) WWII Russian TT-33, typical worn finish, mismatched parts (even slide not matching frame), no import mark and no added safety.

b) 1951 Russian TT-33, finish better than a) but typical for the time period, all matching parts, import added safety has been removed and hole plugged (not a bad job but could look nicer, safety arc still there), import mark also apparently removed.

c) 1938 Russian TT-33, all matching parts, no import mark or added safety, satin nickel finish over a somewhat pitted surface. Supposedly a vet bringback nickeled after in the U.S.

I own b) and c) and wonder where a) would fit in my meager collection.

Thanks,
John F.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the enlightenment! It appears that I have been placing too much importance on "all matching". I really thought that c), with the earlier date, all matching and probable vet provenance would outrank both b) and a). A "newbie" misconception, I suppose, but I still favor c). It's great fun to hold and shoot, all the while imagining the kind of action it may have seen before me.

Thanks,
John F.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks BradB and Vic! I do see the point and am starting to believe that is a better strategy to follow. And, indeed, the nail was hit directly on the head with a solid blow when patience was mentioned. I am forced to ask myself why my Russian SKS numbers recently reached 24 and TT-33's numbered 8, not counting Chinese examples. Still, I must say, and I don't mean this to seem argumentative, I love that 1938 vet bring back and will probably never part with it. After all, it is already the best example imaginable of a formerly pitted, now nickeled "went through the war" bringback type.

John F.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.