Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,400 Posts
I would not shoot any brass cased 7.64X54R ammunition in your SVD or an NDM. The Russian SVD manual states steel cased ammunition only. I know of 2 SVD's taken apart by brass cased ammunition. The NDM in 308 will handle brass cased ammunition because of the much stronger case head.

· Registered
1,400 Posts
IIRC the 7N1 sniper ammunition for the Draganov and MN sniper is steel cased. The problem with the Draganov is that it doesn't support the case head completely and the case head of the 7.62X54R is not particularly strong. Hence the prohibition using brass case ammunition. That's is what caused the 2 SVD's to get taken apart, the case head failed. I have both the 7.62X54R Russian SVD and the 308 SVD. After a friend of mine took apart the 2 SVD's, he didn't learn after the first one, that was lesson learned for me. They are just to expensive to take chance shooting brass cased ammunition.
The receiver wasn't damaged but as I remember the bolt, magazine and receiver cover were damaged. It was over 15 years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy on what else was damaged. He has since passed away so I can't give you the exact details of what else was damaged. Perhaps some others will chime in on the brass versus steel cased ammunition in the Draganov.
I hope you don't have the same thing happen to your Tiger.

· Registered
1,400 Posts
The manual definitely says steel cases only. I have done otherwise and have not had a problem. I recommend doing as they say and I will for the most part. The extraction is very forceful and the extractor can pull off the rim portion it contacts. That is not universally a big problem but can cause malfuntions. If that piece of metal gets in the wrong place it could be ugly, like in the bore. The most likely result is a jam as the case may not be extracted or unsuccessfully ejected.

I feel pretty confident using US M118 ammo in the 308. Military brass is mush harder than commercial. That said, again follow the manual and do not do as I do.
I also shot my 308 SVD using Lake City brass for the same reason you use the M118 brass. There are others in my shooting circle that also have shot 308 in their SVD's without incident at least so far. No one with a 7.62X54R shoots brass cases.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.