Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have only shot 7N1 ( 152 gr.) the dedicated sniper load designed for the Russian Dragunov SVD , is my SVD capable of handling Russian match ammo ? Don't want to damage my rifle and will defer to the experts. Thanks in advance.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Go find the new and cheap "LVE" Novosibirsk light ball. It is the white box Russian ammo that the US buys and gives to our allies who use Russian weapons. I have had very good results in moderate range shooting to 500 yards with my SVD, my SVT-40 and my Mosin snipers. Good, clean and available.

This is non-corrosive ammo currently made by the same plant that made the 7N1. It is sold as Wolf, but is entirely different than the usual Wolf commercial. I got a lot of it from Gander Mountain. Ammunition Depot has it listed now, but I have never bought from them so I am not sure it is the same -looks like the white box and Wolf listing, but can't see the "LVE" headstamp.

Also, much commercial US ammo can have an odd problem unique to SVDs -the soft primer is pierced by the SVD firing pin, retracts with a tiny brass ring punched out and a few of these stick on the firing pin, shutting down ignition after a few reounds. You need to shoot hard primer military grade ammo. This LVE is the best I have found as non-corrosive, though you can shoot regular milsurp silvertip all day if you clean religiously including the gas piston system.
Here is the LVE light ball:

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
I have shot the Extra Match in my NDM-86 and can tell no major side effects. A Polish shooter who has posted here uses it. The manual says the rate of twist was changed on later models to make the rifles shoot better with heavier bullets.

Bottom line, I would do more research to make sure. You definitely do not want to damage that beautiful and valuable rifle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is safe to shoot any bullet up to 203 grains through your SVD!

The myth that you can't shoot heavy ball through the Dragunov comes from the Romanian PSL that wasn't designed for heavy ball, and has had cracked rear trunion issues as a result. The Dragunov system is completely different from the (simply enlarged) AK system the PSL uses however and handles the recoil forces in a completely different way. The recoil forces are steered directly into the milled receiver of the Dragunov, so it can handle heavy bullets very well.

It is even stated on the Izhmash website that up to 13.2 gram (203 grain) bullets can be shot through it: http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/tigr.shtml

This post explains it very well: http://nzshooting.blogspot.nl/2013/05/shooting-heavy-bullets-through-dragunov.html

You have a gorgeous rifle Stoner 208! Don't be afraid to shoot heavy bullets and enjoy it.
In a few weeks I'll be the proud owner of a 2008 production Izmash Tigr type 05 (wooden handguards and full-length barrel), so I know how the wait feels :)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
It is safe to shoot any bullet up to 203 grains through your SVD!

The myth that you can't shoot heavy ball through the Dragunov comes from the Romanian PSL that wasn't designed for heavy ball, and has had cracked rear trunion issues as a result. The Dragunov system is completely different from the (simply enlarged) AK system the PSL uses however and handles the recoil forces in a completely different way. The recoil forces are steered directly into the milled receiver of the Dragunov, so it can handle heavy bullets very well.

It is even stated on the Izhmash website that up to 13.2 gram (203 grain) bullets can be shot through it: http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/tigr.shtml

This post explains it very well: http://nzshooting.blogspot.nl/2013/05/shooting-heavy-bullets-through-dragunov.html

Don't be afraid to shoot heavy bullets and enjoy it.
That pretty much covers it. For years, I've been shooting whatever is available through mine regardless of weight. Some is less accurate than others but it all shoots. You have to remember, its made to be USED, not babied.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I would not shoot any brass cased 7.64X54R ammunition in your SVD or an NDM. The Russian SVD manual states steel cased ammunition only. I know of 2 SVD's taken apart by brass cased ammunition. The NDM in 308 will handle brass cased ammunition because of the much stronger case head.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would not shoot any brass cased 7.64X54R ammunition in your SVD or an NDM. The Russian SVD manual states steel cased ammunition only. I know of 2 SVD's taken apart by brass cased ammunition. The NDM in 308 will handle brass cased ammunition because of the much stronger case head.
I knew of the soft primer issue, but I have never heard of brass cases giving problems.
I am planning on reloading for the my Tigr, I have even made some test loads for load development.

Could you go into a little bit more detail about this problem?
What do you mean with "taken apart"?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
IIRC the 7N1 sniper ammunition for the Draganov and MN sniper is steel cased. The problem with the Draganov is that it doesn't support the case head completely and the case head of the 7.62X54R is not particularly strong. Hence the prohibition using brass case ammunition. That's is what caused the 2 SVD's to get taken apart, the case head failed. I have both the 7.62X54R Russian SVD and the 308 SVD. After a friend of mine took apart the 2 SVD's, he didn't learn after the first one, that was lesson learned for me. They are just to expensive to take chance shooting brass cased ammunition.
The receiver wasn't damaged but as I remember the bolt, magazine and receiver cover were damaged. It was over 15 years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy on what else was damaged. He has since passed away so I can't give you the exact details of what else was damaged. Perhaps some others will chime in on the brass versus steel cased ammunition in the Draganov.
I hope you don't have the same thing happen to your Tiger.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,898 Posts
The manual definitely says steel cases only. I have done otherwise and have not had a problem. I recommend doing as they say and I will for the most part. The extraction is very forceful and the extractor can pull off the rim portion it contacts. That is not universally a big problem but can cause malfuntions. If that piece of metal gets in the wrong place it could be ugly, like in the bore. The most likely result is a jam as the case may not be extracted or unsuccessfully ejected.

I feel pretty confident using US M118 ammo in the 308. Military brass is mush harder than commercial. That said, again follow the manual and do not do as I do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must confess, I bought my SVD back in '95 NIB when they hit the market (J&G Sales) and have only shot 2 boxes of 7n1 in order to sight in the scope. It's been a safe Queen ever since. I plan to start shooting it when I move so all this information is extremely helpful. I appreciate all of your input, some great advise. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
One has a milled receiver. The other has a milled block riveted into the back of a sheet metal receiver. Guess which one can better withstand a bolt repeatedly slamming to the rear.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The manual definitely says steel cases only. I have done otherwise and have not had a problem. I recommend doing as they say and I will for the most part. The extraction is very forceful and the extractor can pull off the rim portion it contacts. That is not universally a big problem but can cause malfuntions. If that piece of metal gets in the wrong place it could be ugly, like in the bore. The most likely result is a jam as the case may not be extracted or unsuccessfully ejected.

I feel pretty confident using US M118 ammo in the 308. Military brass is mush harder than commercial. That said, again follow the manual and do not do as I do.
I also shot my 308 SVD using Lake City brass for the same reason you use the M118 brass. There are others in my shooting circle that also have shot 308 in their SVD's without incident at least so far. No one with a 7.62X54R shoots brass cases.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I must confess, I bought my SVD back in '95 NIB when they hit the market (J&G Sales) and have only shot 2 boxes of 7n1 in order to sight in the scope. It's been a safe Queen ever since. I plan to start shooting it when I move so all this information is extremely helpful. I appreciate all of your input, some great advise. Thanks all.
To be safe, you better just send that SVD over to me.
I'll do all the ammo testing for you and give you a detailed range report.
Better safe than sorry. :) Beautiful SVD by the way. Very nice!

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's a coincident SGAL1, I'm moving to FL. Thanks:thumbsup:
Even better...save on shipping. ;)
Seriously though...if you are moving anywhere near me, you should check out our gun club.
I would be happy to take you over there if you are.
We are the only one I believe in Florida with a 600 yard range. We also have a nice 200 yard range.
Might be fun to stretch the legs on your SVD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts