Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm refinishing a Russian SKS stock and wanted to know whats the best product to use to get the orginal shellac look...............

SKSSean

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you used these before and how did it turn out... I'm trying to bring this stock back to as close to the orginal as possible... If you have used these before would you mind showing me apic of how it turned out....

Thanks for the help,
SKSSean

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used minwax red mahogany stain and zinser amber shellac , its a very close match.
But the stock I refinished had been left outside for a year and had turned kind of gray
so I had to bleach it before I refinished it. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wiped some Mahogany stain on my stock before relizeing it was stain & poly in one mix. Can I put shellac over this or do I have to scrape the mix off first...

SKSSean

·
Registered
677 Posts
Minwax made this poly/stain that was a spot on match for late russian shelac...the color was *TEAK*....but sad to say i havent been able to find it for some time now, possibly its discontinued or maybe just my area doesnt carry it...if any of you should happen to come accross this product please contact me here

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
you might try Home Depot-the one I go to has Miniwax stuff.Just used the Satin rub-on urethane on a G model build.Home Depot or Lowes might be able to special order it if it is still made.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the best way to get the stain and poly off with out messing with the natural color of the wood.... I've been scrapeing the old shellac's off but wasn't sure on what to do with the stain & poly....

SKSSean

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,590 Posts
For removing shellac, scraping is a knuckledragger technique - too much time and effort required to properly complete the task. Denatured alcohol will easily dissolve shellac and not mess up your wood.

For the polyurethane, you may need to either scrape, or find a particularly aggressive paint stripper to remove it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone ever tryed to copy the blk splotches on Artic Birch stocks. The stock I working on now has only a few splotches when my other stocks have a lot, I would love to be able add some...

Would you agree that Minwax red Mahogany with amber shellac is the closest off the shelf match to the orginal color...

Thanks,
SKSSean

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey that looks awesome Sean!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts