Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was thinking of using my 91/30 sniper for deer hunting and I know there are 180 and heavier, but want to stay with my 7N1 ammo, the question is will this ammo make the wound open up, or just zing through the deer.

just used my 300 win mag. but want to do something different.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,515 Posts
Soft point ammo

You should find some soft point ammo for your sniper. The military full patch bullets will not open up in a deer. Also illegal in some states for deer hunting, (As they should be)

·
Gold Bullet member
11,296 Posts
Listen to the Captain!

Duane is spot-on. I don't think there is a state in the Union that allows FMJ bullets for hunting.

Do yourself (and the deer) a favor... find some softpoint ammo that does well in your rifle and go afield with the confidence that you are firmly within the parameters of good hunting ethics and the law.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,084 Posts
Dinosaur logic: Find something, kill it and eat it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya i'll be using the 180 gr soft point, used to shooting the 147 gr bullet better get practicing

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Seems to me , you have to play the game betwen your states laws and plain logic.

Laws....Alaska here allows FMJ's and 90% of the guys I hunt around are subsistance hunters.....that means we cut out the tounge cut off the head and throw it away. The meat and hids are the trophy.
I personally use a Sako M-39 with Czeck Silvertips, 147 grain, and they knock the life right outta Caribou, Moose, BrownBear, PolarBear and Ive seen a Whale finished with a mag full from a Mosin too.

Logic side....its where you shoot them, not What you shoot them with. Never did understand the idea behind "Knock down" power, if its Caribou, its strictly head and neck shots....Bears get it between the eye and ear, or the spine, no other shot works as well.
Shot placement is where its at, FMJ, soft point ...what ever hits the spot.
Dont expect a bullet to make up for poor shot placement, there are no "Magic" bullets, only a good ,solid , well placed shot.

I reccomend that you find the most accurate load, practise like a madman, and the results will be in your favor when the time comes.

I buy and use Surplus...its cheap, plenty full and does the job every time...load on Monday, shoot till Sunday.

If you have to use EXPENSIVE Commercial, might just as well buy as much as possible and reload your brass. Remington has always been the best I've seen and used...especcially in my .243Win. and .22LR

What do I know?

I raised 7 kids and a couple spare ones with 19 years of year round , full time Hunting on Ice , Tundra and across the waters of Arctic Alaska.... I've seen excellent results and I aint done yet.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,452 Posts
I agree with the best placed shot thing, with any shooting. I started to reply after the first post but I do not know various state laws on using FMJ. I do remember it was illegal in NC when I was a kid to use Mil Surp ammo, I assume because of the FMJ or in some cases steel core.

I do think the 7N1 should be lethal for most game as it is designed with lethal in mind. If lethal to human, it should be lethal to most game. Just check your state and local laws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts