Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deciced to pick this up at the Tulsa show. Jumped in head first. Its allmatching with tubr ep'd. Did I do bad?

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Shotgun Wood Air gun
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Tree Table

Gun Shotgun Air gun Trigger Revolver
Revolver Auto part Muffler Air gun Metal
Gun Trigger Revolver Air gun Airsoft gun
Roof Rain gutter
Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Shotgun

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice Gun! How you did depends on what you paid, also it it not all matching since it is ep'd so it is considered force matched!
Well I made a little extra at the show so I dropped 375 on it. Probably too much but I plan on keeping it since its like new.

Hand Recreation
Gun Air gun
Vehicle

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if I hear the word Tapco come out of my buddys mouth one more time Im gonna hurl.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Very nice rifle! I see the bore is chrome-lined. I also have an SKS but the chrome lining doesn't seem to extend as far up the muzzle as yours. Is this something that changes from rifle to rifle? My chrome lining just peeps out of the end of the muzzle and yours' extends quite a lot further. I think you did well with your purchase, now time to throw some lead out the gun!

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
Very nice rifle! I see the bore is chrome-lined. I also have an SKS but the chrome lining doesn't seem to extend as far up the muzzle as yours. Is this something that changes from rifle to rifle? My chrome lining just peeps out of the end of the muzzle and yours' extends quite a lot further. I think you did well with your purchase, now time to throw some lead out the gun!
It appears to me that is a slight re-crown. Near all refurb. Russians had that done to them.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
Nice Gun! How you did depends on what you paid, also it it not all matching since it is ep'd so it is considered force matched!
The gas tubes were nearly all EP'd on a refurb Carbine. This was done to be able to match that exactly fit tube back to the original receiver.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting you guys should mention the chrome. The other rifle on the table had chrome peeling up towards the muzzle. It was a 53r. The stock (hardwood) was renumbered though. If it wasnt for the peeling chrome I would have picked the other. Looked non refurbed but Im no expert, barely a novice.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
You did extremely well. Notice the backwards N at right of S/N. Farther right is a small star. Receiver cover top unstamped.

You sir found what we collectors call a "Letter Gun." That N stands for an I in English. These are thought to be the last of the Russian SKS Carbines made in early 1956. The metal looks very nice and this rifle is about as new as you could find. These are not that common to even find. The price for one in that condition was real good. It appears to me that rifle only had the Arctic Birch stock replaced. Even your rear site is original. Not an un-blued one as on most refurbs. Very fortunate to find one of these!!!:clap:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gas tubes were nearly all EP'd on a refurb Carbine. This was done to be able to match that exactly fit tube back to the original receiver.
So this is the original tube just EP'd to be kept track of?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
That would help explain the differences. Mine still has the original crown, nicely rounded and yet it is a refurb as well. I sure like these rifles.
The Russians were very critical about quality and condition of these. If it even looked like the crown had a scratch, I think they
re-crowned a bit. Before these were stored away for a future war, all were stripped down and thoroughly cleaned, inspected,
and reassembled for the crate. I have never heard of any coming out of the box having any powder or dirt inside.
A few I have new in their original boxes are as clean as they can be except for the grease.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You did extremely well. Notice the backwards N at right of S/N. Farther right is a small star. Receiver cover top unstamped.

You sir found what we collectors call a "Letter Gun." That N stands for an I in English. These are thought to be the last of the Russian SKS Carbines made in early 1956. The metal looks very nice and this rifle is about as new as you could find. These are not that common to even find. The price for one in that condition was real good. It appears to me that rifle only had the Arctic Birch stock replaced. Even your rear site is original. Not an un-blued one as on most refurbs. Very fortunate to find one of these!!!:clap:
Thank you sir. I was rather afraid I overpaid for a common sks although mint bore. I like the laminate stock. Are these undesirable?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
Thank you sir. I was rather afraid I overpaid for a common sks although mint bore. I like the laminate stock. Are these undesirable?
Stocks are an individual preference on a refurb. Many guys do not like the XXXX out numbers and the re-stamp on AB stocks. The finish is usually, unless abused, in better shape than many AB are.
If you look at two identical refurbs on Gun Brokers, the laminates hands down are bid up higher. Usually $50 or a little more for
the laminates. May even be higher in March.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sling is not the one that was on it. I put that one on as the original sling was getting rotten around the rivets. What is the sling on it now? chinese?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
Clint, here is a monthly report that a friend of mine makes every month on Russian sales at Gun Brokers. Notice how few Letters,
A, D, I, and K come up for sale! Look at the colored columns to see selling prices. The low one was really trashed out. Former Bubba gun.
March will be out in a few days. Also, keep in mind those buyers are also taking on the FFL transfer and shipping costs on top of that actual selling cost shown. Now, look at how well you really did when all factors are added in. Congrats!

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3255

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
That sling is not the one that was on it. I put that one on as the original sling was getting rotten around the rivets. What is the sling on it now? chinese?
Yes, it is a Chinese I am pretty certain. There are many slings for sale saying Russian, but most right now are not an as issued type for the SKS. Here is a link to one that does appear original to me.
Usually they run closer to $25. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soviet-Russ...080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72aa8578

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I guess stripping the finish off and and making it look like a bringback is out of the question?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.