Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

RUSSIAN ORTHODOX PARATROOPER PRIESTS JUMP WITH MOBILE CHAPEL

Russian paratroopers were holding parachute exercises near the city of Ryazan, about 200 kilometers southeast of Moscow. But among the so-called ordinary paratroopers there were paratrooper priests making their jump complete with a mobile chapel.

Around 100 paratroopers accompanied by eight parachuting Russian Orthodox priests made the jump in a wide-open field.

Airborne Orthodox chaplains have made parachute jumps to improve the morale of the warriors.

The training plan included airlift delivery of a mobile chapel that the chaplains assembled at the point of impact.

The inflatable chapel weighs about one metric ton and takes around an hour to inflate and deck out.

The chapel comes complete with interior sacred objects like Orthodox icons that are secured to the walls using Velcro.

Each chaplain made two training parachute jumps from AN-2 and Ilyushin 76 airplanes. In April, military training of Orthodox chaplains for all types of troops and military districts will be held near Moscow.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,497 Posts
I'm more familiar with Greek Orthodox church customs than Russian but do you know:

In photo 6, are the medals and ribbons military or church?

They look sort of military and I have never seen any like it on the Greek Orthodox priests and the churches are quite similar since both are Eastern Orthodox. But I am no expert on either.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more familiar with Greek Orthodox church customs than Russian but do you know:

In photo 6, are the medals and ribbons military or church?

They look sort of military and I have never seen any like it on the Greek Orthodox priests and the churches are quite similar since both are Eastern Orthodox. But I am no expert on either.
Those are military ribbons. Awards/ribbons are not part of the "official" ecclesiastical vestments worn by Eastern Orthodox priests. As far as I know, they are allowed to wear a civilian or military medal/ribbon/award when they are out and about, but not on their vestments while serving Divine Liturgy or any other church service.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,503 Posts
Glad to see the troops get spiritual nurturing in the field.
GSPIV had different views - I was present at an 11th Cav staff call in 1968 when a squadron chaplain complained he'd been bumped off a chopper for some donut dollies. Colonel Patton responded that it would always be that way as long as he commanded the Blackhorse as "it does the troops good to see split-tails in the field"...

·
101,503 Posts
George Smith Patton IV (sometimes known as GSPIII), the only son of George Smith Patton III (usually erroneously called GSP Jr), the "Old Blood and Guts'' of WWII. He (GSPIV) commanded the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment 1968/69 in RVN. He was - colorful

A "split tail" is a female.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
There were a couple chaplains running around 5th group with CIBs and Ranger tabs from earlier service.
Col Patton came by our camp a number of times.
They made us honorary "Garry Owens," but the way they threw away good men made that less than desireable.
An American friend of mine became a Russian Orthodox Priest a number of years ago.
They are required to be married.
There is a lot of contention between old timers and the newer order, especially in the states.
The Rooshin mob has a heavy hand in things as well.

·
101,503 Posts
There were a couple chaplains running around 5th group with CIBs and Ranger tabs from earlier service.
Col Patton came by our camp a number of times.
They made us honorary "Garry Owens," but the way they threw away good men made that less than desireable.
An American friend of mine became a Russian Orthodox Priest a number of years ago.
They are required to be married.
There is a lot of contention between old timers and the newer order, especially in the states.
The Rooshin mob has a heavy hand in things as well.
11th Cav was the Blackhorse Cav. "Garry Owen" is the regimental air of the 7th Cav, and not used by or associated with the Blackhorse. Never heard of Patton or his people making anybody "honorary Garry Owens", but there are a lot of things i never encountered and you were there with the 5th Group and i wasn't, so - well learn something new every day i guess.

George Patton and at least one of his successors (Donn Starry) used the Blackhorse aggresively and with little regard for casualties as best i could see at the time or from historical sources since. I didn't admire him (Patton) much when i was in the 185th Maint (which supported 11ACR) or later when i was in the 1st Cav at Fort Hood and he was CG of 2AD, also stationed at Hood in those high and far off days. He ran the 2nd AD pretty aggressively and was a better tactical commander than MG Becton (1st Cav CG at that time). Pretty sure LTG Shoemaker (former 1st Cav CG and at that time III Corps CG) liked Patton better than he did Becton - but Patton wound up Deputy CG of VII Corps, and then Becton got his third star and was appointed CG of VII Corps and Patton ran his mouth about it and got fired. Patton, like his daddy, had a habit of running his mouth, and he used to do it as division CG in a fashion that led to cses having to to be transferred to First Team as he disqualified himself as convening authority by his remarks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.