Platinum Bullet Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
Krag
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

3553 Posts
Posted - 10/13/2003 : 2:40:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking through a series of books about WW1 at the local library over the weekend and came across a cool photo. It shows Turkish cavalry in Palestine in 1916 carrying Russian obr. 1870g Berdan (Type II) rifles.

My scanner is on the fritz, otherwise I'd have copied it and posted it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Use up all your ammo and have fun."

Starship Troopers
Robert Heinlein

dg13
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 10/13/2003 : 8:16:56 PM

Very interesting--I'd love to see the picture!!!Obviously captured!

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

DocAV

Australia
3278 Posts
Posted - 10/14/2003 : 06:39:09 AM

yes, and not necessarily in WW I! The Turks had been at war with Bulgaria (1913) Russia (1877-78),Macedonia/ Serbia (1908) and so on.
It is possible that the Berdan carbines came from Bulgaria, either 1913 or later, 1915-6; The most probably source was the disastrous Armenian campaign (1915) where a lot of Russian equipment was captured( Moisin Nagants mostly.)
Interesting they were issued (the Berdans) to cavalry: probably because of lesser ammo availability... cavalrymen don't shoot as much as infantry... (Turk Infantry in Palestine had large issues of Nagants by 1917, both by direct capture and via Germany.)

regards, Doc AV

FGD135
Gunboards Super Premium Member

375 Posts
Posted - 10/14/2003 : 10:08:28 PM

It is also possible that these Berdans came from the (WW1) Polish frontier and the Carpathians, having been captured from Russian troops there. Large numbers of Berdan equipped second line Russian infantry were in those campaigns. Austrians and Huns sent lots of captured weapons to their poor cousin, Turkey.
I have seen several Turkish marked Mosins, it would be interesting to find a Turkish Berdan! Probably would be in the same sad shape as those Mosins.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
Author Topic
Krag

3553 Posts
Posted - 10/13/2003 : 2:40:41 PM

I was looking through a series of books about WW1 at the local library over the weekend and came across a cool photo. It shows Turkish cavalry in Palestine in 1916 carrying Russian obr. 1870g Berdan (Type II) rifles.

My scanner is on the fritz, otherwise I'd have copied it and posted it here.

"Use up all your ammo and have fun."

Starship Troopers
Robert Heinlein

dg13
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 10/13/2003 : 8:16:56 PM

Very interesting--I'd love to see the picture!!!Obviously captured!

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

DocAV

Australia
3278 Posts
Posted - 10/14/2003 : 06:39:09 AM

yes, and not necessarily in WW I! The Turks had been at war with Bulgaria (1913) Russia (1877-78),Macedonia/ Serbia (1908) and so on.
It is possible that the Berdan carbines came from Bulgaria, either 1913 or later, 1915-6; The most probably source was the disastrous Armenian campaign (1915) where a lot of Russian equipment was captured( Moisin Nagants mostly.)
Interesting they were issued (the Berdans) to cavalry: probably because of lesser ammo availability... cavalrymen don't shoot as much as infantry... (Turk Infantry in Palestine had large issues of Nagants by 1917, both by direct capture and via Germany.)

regards, Doc AV

FGD135
Gunboards Super Premium Member

375 Posts
Posted - 10/14/2003 : 10:08:28 PM

It is also possible that these Berdans came from the (WW1) Polish frontier and the Carpathians, having been captured from Russian troops there. Large numbers of Berdan equipped second line Russian infantry were in those campaigns. Austrians and Huns sent lots of captured weapons to their poor cousin, Turkey.
I have seen several Turkish marked Mosins, it would be interesting to find a Turkish Berdan! Probably would be in the same sad shape as those Mosins.
My Turkish marked Mosin isn't that bad. Not perfect, but still decent in and out.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts