Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Asked this question on a couple other forums and never seemed to get a response. Does anybody have an idea how much original steel core russian surplus 7.62x39 goes for nowadays? Think I have a few boxes and was just curious if anyone has even seen some for sale lately? (or for sale at all for that matter?) Pretty sure its Russian, or at that point in time soviet for 1975. I figured I'd ask here and see what you guys think.

EDIT: Headstamp is 60 over 75

Stinkyrat

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only info I could ever find was on JA's pages about Id'ing 7.62x39. Its about a third of the way down the page:

http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/ak_rifle_ammo.htm

The ammo looks the same both in the rounds and the packaging so I am pretty sure its soviet mil-surp. Here is a quote from JA's webpage:

"Small quantities of Russian ammo was imported from other countries but was in small amounts intended for the cartridge collector market or mislabeled as to country of mfg. Until the fall of the Soviet Union all arms and ammo were banned from import to the US by law. A large amount of Russian steel core 7.62x39mm ammo was imported in late 1993/early 1994 but due to the BATF re-classifying 7.62x39mm steel core ammo as armor piercing ammo in February 1994. The import or sale of 7.62x39mm ammo with steel core bullets by FFL holders was banned to anyone one but military, law enforcement, or other govt. agencies. So very little of it made it into the hands of shooters or collectors. As you can see in the picture below it came in unmarked 20rd boxes."

That said, 7n1 and 7n6 were also considered somewhat of a rarity untill large shipments made it to the states. However this stuff as I understand from the above quote never really made it onto the market and I know for a fact that steelcore ammo was banned in the 90's, so I wasnt sure if this is something to hold on to for collector value or shoot up along with commercial wolf ammo.

Stinkyrat

·
Registered
758 Posts
I certainly was around in 1993-94 and do not recall Russian milsurp M-43 ball advertised for sale in the pages of SHOTGUN NEWS.

There was a small amount of East German floating around, both M-43 and M-74, yet apart from that (all grey lacquered case) little or no ex-Soviet. The Tula white box "sporting" ammo was on its way here at the time and I came across a minor lot of that HP-tipped stuff at SARCO's in New Jersey in 1994 IIRC and snapped up all I could of that. This was followed by Czech Sellier & Bellot ball ammo in the turquoise boxes which for all intents and purposes was milsurp ball.

Don't forget, whatever Russian there was had to compete with ChiCom of which there remained a fair amount to be scarfed up.

To sum it all up, "how much does the Soviet M-43 go today?" Put twenty up at GunBroker and see. My guess it would go for 'round $20 a box. Don't forget there is still some "Hungarian" reloads floating around which are not the same thing at all having had lead core bullets swapped out for old. That latter stuff should go for no more than $5 a box.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,192 Posts
There is quite a bit of Russian 7.62X39 around if you look. Some is sought by collectors but I'm not sure what arsenals or years are desirable. Some was imported via the Middle East in several lots and dates from the 50's to the 70's. The USSR used steelcase, steelcore ammunition since the 1950's but the copper washed was more common. Brass cased was quite uncommon. It was not commercially boxed. It is good shooting ammunition. I have a fairly large quantity of the mixed stuff and even the 1950's ammo still shoots fine. Not sure what the Russian boxed ammo you have is worth. As Archivist Dick noted you can always thorow it out on the WTS here or Gunbroker to see what it brings.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Oh, if I were you, I'd defenitely hold on to it and not shoot it. I have boatloads of the East German stuff that is worthless but I keep it anyway simply because it's DDR and I collect DDR stuff. If I had any Soviet stuff I'd keep it instead of shooting it too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ah yes,
Russian 7.62x39 in the little white boxes. I remember when Century sold the last of their holdings for $69.87 per 1000 rd.cases. It's a good thing I saved quite a bit of it as I did their 9mm. ammo. It'll be a looong time before we see it again unless Obama and the Russians resign new trade agreements due to economic conditions. Those recent nuclear arms talks might lead to something down the line. Until then all my Russian ammo stays in storage for WSHTF day as the stuff is actually real good fodder.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,192 Posts
All of the recent imported 7.62X39 is Russian. Wolf, Barnaul etc. No change really. Just commercial packaging for the imported ammo but the same stuff that goes into the spam cans and to Iraq etc., Tula Catrdige Worksand other Russian production ammo. The collectors like the military arsenal headstamps though on the older stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought a couple of cans from a guy in Ohio & got some unusual stuff. Some sterile rounds with NO headstamp, copper washed. Some Polish, Romanian & the Egyptian tarnished brass case stuff. I have some from 1949-1951. Some of the older stuff is slow, smoky & inaccurate. I don't shoot any of it older than 1958 now, scared of a squib.

Also have you guys seen any of the East German "reloads" lately? Romanian cases, reblended powder & loaded with I was told Hirtenberger projectiles. I got about 500 the other day. Good stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.