Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is on Armslist. Must be a weird modification after it was imported here.
It has two ports near the muzzle.

* I don't know how to upload photos.* ....

I've owned two EG, two Bulgies and a .380 Izhevsk. The point is that my substantial reading has never indicated any "ported barrel" on Any Makarov.

There is absolutely no way I can imagine that the Russians (nor "East" G., Bulgies or Chinese) ever did this.
If it is a scam (seller states "unissued" ;)), then I also suspect that it is probably a Bulgarian. The photos depict no details, Cyrillic --, nor triangular symbols etc.

>> :oops:**********Found a photo on Google images, shows an old ad for Federal Arms, which offered to give Makarovs "ported barrels".
These ports look exactly like the ports in the Armslist photo.

·
Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
FAC offered the ported barrels at one time years ago. You're right no Mak manufacturer offered a ported barrel so this was added, makes the rest of the story questionable.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger that.
In the first "Armslist message" I asked the seller to describe any markings, and that I have owned an EG, Bulg. and a .380 Izhevsk.

But in the Second message I told him that I had seem the old ad from Federal- about their port modifications.
* I also commented that any such mods destroy collector value.

He saw no reason (so far) to respond. Just as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I emailed the seller as well asking for clarification on the factory markings and the history of the ported barrel this past weekend

So far no response....

·
Copper Bullet member
8,964 Posts
Fed. Arms marketed both ported and threaded Makarov barrels, in both 380 and 9Mak, I believe. As long as you kept the original barrel, I don't see how this barrel modification would harm "collector value".

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jonny c.
True, about keeping collector value, if they keep an original barrel etc.
But I usually assume that it isn't available, when they Don't mention it, and don't even reply to a simple question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts