Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this one from AIM. It was one of the $240 grade 2 specials. It's all matching. Apparently Bujar (Albanian for Bubba) thought it would look pretty in a Russian laminated stock, even the hand-guard is laminated. The stock is numbered to the rifle. Shows lots of character, and I think it looks bad a$$. All the numbers that are there match, the extractor is EP'ed matching too.

Is that a second butt-hole I see?

I'd like to know who is spreading lies about these things being sterile, because I promise you they are multiplying... I also don't quite know what makes this one a grade 2, but I'm not gonna look a gift-horse in the mouth. I added the sling of course, but it did have the cleaning rod with it.

Also, the Bujar thing was a joke. I'm sorry to those named Bujar who are offended.

Questions, comments, and observations are always welcome.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(I told Bujar you were only kidding but he is sharpening his knife...)
OH NO!!! :(

I like the look of that stock...definitely a keeper!
I love the laminates. I got really lucky with this one. There was someone else who had posted a Chinese SKS in a laminate stock just a few days ago, thought it was funny when I opened the box and pulled out the laminate stock. :) My wife says I shrieked.

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
How did you know they had a supply of grade 2 guns? I want one of these in a laminate! I don't see them anywhere on their site.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did you know they had a supply of grade 2 guns? I want one of these in a laminate! I don't see them anywhere on their site.
They had the SKS and Yugo M57s, grade 2 on sale. Both sold out pretty quickly. I'm on their mailing list.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yup they has their X grade SKS's a few weeks back which were pretty much listed as possible rust buckets. I picked up 2 of them, 2 grade B MN's and 2 of the "shooters" grade M57 TOK pistols and 5 out of the 6 were in good to very good condition. Only 1 of the SKS was pretty heavily rusted but I should be able to salvage it with time in the blast cabinet if not it will be salvaged for parts and turned onto a franken build. From my long time experience with AIM their 2d and 3rd tier items are typically in better shape then the description.

The X-grade sks's were $229.00 ea.
Here's' the link log in and click the notify button for any future stock.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...SKS+Rifle+"X"+Grade+7.62x39cal&search=F3CSKSX

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey Gary,

Is this gun a TGI import? I don't think that stock was put on by bubba in Albania…I've never seen a replacement Albanian stock S/N matched like yours is. They were all left unnumbered, or the old, non-matching number was left unchanged. If I had to guess (and this is another RM WAG;)) I'd say that your laminate stock was original to the rifle. The font, character size, placement, and amount wear all seem correct to me. The red garnet shellac is correct for that stock and that time period too. Also, Russians never had a six character all numeral serial number on any SKS.

The fact that it has a hardwood hand guard instead of laminate might mean the producers (Russia, China?) of these Chinese rifles were running out of stocks around 'ghost' S/N 184k and resorted to using Russian laminate stocks to finish things up until hardwood stocks could be sourced again. I have images for all-matching gun S/Ns 187507 & 187631 and both have hardwood stocks, not laminates, so it appears this was either a very uncommon, one-off random thing, or something happened around S/N 184k where they had to temporarily switch for a short while before resuming with hardwood stocks.

Very interesting rifle! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this gun a TGI import? I don't think that stock was put on by bubba in Albania…I've never seen a replacement Albanian stock S/N matched like yours is. They were all left unnumbered, or the old, non-matching number was left unchanged. If I had to guess (and this is another RM WAG;)) I'd say that your laminate stock was original to the rifle. The font, character size, placement, and amount wear all seem correct to me. The red garnet shellac is correct for that stock and that time period too. Also, Russians never had a six character all numeral serial number on any SKS.
Yes it is a TGI import. The hand-guard is laminate as well. The stock has been renumbered. If you look at the where the serial number is you might see a little wave in the grain, At some point the old serial number was removed, looks like by a rotary sanding cylinder or something, and it was restamped. I don'y know if the rifle was born with this stock or not. If only it could speak. But then who knows what kind of translator we'd need. Albanian? Mandarin? Russian? Maybe something else.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was the one who received the other laminate stock, mine however does not have the laminate handguard, is stamped with a russian serial number, and the upper half of mine is mismatched, although the bluing is at 85-90% on mine, i would have much rather had the matching rifle, mine does have what appears to be a perfect bullet whole through the rear of the stock which is pretty bad ass, thanks guys

also mine was an I.O import from RTI

1 - 13 of 13 Posts