1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic author: yengese
Subject: Russian Importation
Posted on: 05/19/2006 7:18:45 PM
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but why can't Russian Maks from Baikal come into the US? EAA imports other Baikal firearms, and it looks that the mak with adjustable sights in 9mm mak could meet the importation points or at least very very close ( add target grips?) I heard Clinton had something to do with it, but now the ban is gone and things are more....relaxed. Someone please enlighten me.
Regards,
yengese

Replies:

Reply author: El Karang
Replied on: 05/20/2006 01:34:00 AM
the clinton executive order hasn't been rescinded by bush.it has nothing to do with the AWB.

Reply author: Timbo
Replied on: 05/20/2006 06:23:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by El Karang

the clinton executive order hasn't been rescinded by bush.it has nothing to do with the AWB.

You didn't capitalize the c in clinton, thanks! It speaks volumes.

Reply author: yengese
Replied on: 05/20/2006 10:54:36 AM
So the mak is banned by name in the executive order? The mak can't come in but other Baikal guns can? Screwy

Reply author: bscott
Replied on: 05/20/2006 11:16:47 AM
Actually I dont really understand this matter either, I've had it explained, and I've read some old posts here and there- but I'm still not getting it.

This is the same order that banned Poly Tech and Norinco products, right?

Reply author: arcom the first
Replied on: 05/20/2006 2:31:08 PM
Handguns were bammed with an exemption for .22lr target pistols. Instead of the Russkies exporting guns for dollars, klinton gave them the dollars in exchange for a "voluntary" ban.

Reply author: bscott
Replied on: 05/21/2006 12:37:01 AM
So, they cannot import pistols except for target .22s?

Reply author: Charlie
Replied on: 05/21/2006 7:12:25 PM
IIRC- Chinese weapon ban was the current Bush's Dad's idea, along with NO MORE Full Autos from ANY SOURCE.

Reply author: nyarlotep
Replied on: 05/22/2006 05:11:41 AM
I believe the only guns that are exempt from the ban are "sporting arms"--shotguns, target pistols, etc. I wonder what the legality is of exporting a crapload of Maks to, say, Bulgaria, let them sit in a warehouse for 5 years or whatever the rule is so they become "residents" of the new country, then import them here. I don't know if a) that's possible, and b) if the government would allow them to be imported even if all other criteria are met, if they were moved from a banned country to a non-banned one simply to bypass import laws.
I also wonder if someone could buy a bunch of Maks, strip the frame, then import all the parts & leave the frames there. We could at least get a good supply of extra slides and stuff, maybe even at a reasonable price.

Reply author: Teakwood
Replied on: 05/22/2006 07:30:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by nyarlotep

...[1]I wonder what the legality is of exporting a crapload of Maks to, say, Bulgaria, let them sit in a warehouse for 5 years ...
[2]I also wonder if someone could buy a bunch of Maks, strip the frame, then import all the parts ...

1) Why? The Bulgarians already make Makarovs and sell them to the European makrket under the Arsenal brand.

2) I do not think there would be any economic advantage to that. Plus, I seem to recall that recent ATF rulings frown on that sort of move.

Reply author: LESchwartz
Replied on: 05/22/2006 12:45:24 PM
27 CFR, Subpart F, §447.51(b) contains the relevant import regulations. All Russian firearms not specifically listed in that section are banned from importation, since the ATF denies import licenses for them.

As for the "why", I can't help you with that one.

Larry

Replied on: 05/22/2006 12:51:57 PM

I wonder what the legality is of exporting a crapload of Maks to, say, Bulgaria, let them sit in a warehouse for 5 years or whatever the rule is so they become "residents" of the new country, then import them here.

No good. The five year rule applies only to curios and relics (items on the list or over 50 years old).

Larry

Reply author: jmonarch
Replied on: 05/22/2006 3:35:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by LESchwartz

I wonder what the legality is of exporting a crapload of Maks to, say, Bulgaria, let them sit in a warehouse for 5 years or whatever the rule is so they become "residents" of the new country, then import them here.

No good. The five year rule applies only to curios and relics (items on the list or over 50 years old).

Larry

So, Russian military Maks would be eligible under this scenario?

Replied on: 05/22/2006 5:29:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by jmonarch

quote:Originally posted by LESchwartz

So, Russian military Maks would be eligible under this scenario?

I think so, but I've never attempted to import a C&R (something which C&R holders can in fact do) . . . so YMMV.

Larry

1 - 1 of 1 Posts