Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Russian captures with no import marks. Both have X's and the serial number stamped on the stock plus funky blue. On one I can see where the previous owner removed it from the bottom of the barrel. The second one does not appear to ever have an import mark or a new serial number. I'm still looking but I just can't find any indication it was removed. I guess it is possible for one to slip through and not be marked I guess. If that is not the case, how would a non-import make it into the US? Korea or Vietnam bringback? Impossible to prove without paperwork. I bought a Luger from Canada and the importing FFL must have "forgot" to mark it. Any other ideas? It just seems strange. Thanks in advance.

·
Silver Bullet member
865 Posts
Depends upon when it was imported. If it came in pre NFA, it wouldn't have import marks.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet member
10,493 Posts
The Russian captured and refurbished 98k Mausers were commonly found and brought back from Vietnam. Especially in the earlier years of our involvement. These bringbacks tend to be quite distinctive and are easily recognized by those in the know.

You should post photos.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to get some pictures up soon. It does not look like it spent time in the jungle. The elecropencil number on the bolt does not match the rest of the rifle like the other electropencil.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Depends upon when it was imported. If it came in pre NFA, it wouldn't have import marks.

I think you mean pre GCA 1968. The NFA (Title II) was a 1934 act regarding sale/transfer of machine guns and other specified weapons.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It could either be one that came in before the Import stamp laws from the Vietnam era or it could be one that was overlooked for an import stamps or it has a very small one that isnt easily found. Sometimes they are hidden under the front of the barrel.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,493 Posts
Typical Russian capture CE 43 but no import mark. Nice BYF 42 walnut stock with cupped buttplate though.
There are some potential bringbacks that speak to me. Yours, unfortunately, remains silent.

It’s a “maybe” (and not an exceptionally strong maybe at that) but not in my opinion a “probably.”

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
none of the milsurps sold in Canada have any importer marks. if the rifle was first sold in Canada, and then traded into the USA, discreetly, that may be one possible about having no import ,marks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frosty, your theory makes a lot of sense for what it looks like. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I would think any non-import marked RC would sell for a bit more here in the US than the marked variety, since less common.

·
Registered
970 Posts
In addition to the "it wandered in from Canada" theory it's also possible that the U.S. importer simply forgot to mark it. This happened occasionally with the Soviet refurbed Mosin's that were imported at the same time as the RC K98k's. I once spent a afternoon digging through newly arrived Mosin crates at a Gander Mountain and in the bottom row of one of them I found 5 with no import marks at all. Should have bought all 5 but I settled for just 2, which I still have.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Have a Turk M1938 Mauser from C.I.A. 1990s influx without said marking. $55 at the time and in refurbished condition with "new" 2X4 stock set.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Have a Turk M1938 Mauser from C.I.A. 1990s influx without said marking. $55 at the time and in refurbished condition with "new" 2X4 stock set.

Yes, I think for sure some have fallen through the cracks after the newer marking requirements were implemented. I have a Yugoslav M-48A(B) that is N.I.M. and in like new condition. Had to remove cosmoline from under the action and handguard but it's a bolt and floorplate mismatch (from the importer I would guess).

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
When Springfield Sporters went belly up and sold all their stuff to Century, they were not good at marking. I got a Yugo k98, and a VZ24/52 in xlnt condition, and neither of them were stamped. I guess they figured were gone anyway and just packed up the stuff and off to Century. Century probably took it for granted that SS had marked them, which at times they didn't.

·
Silver Bullet member
865 Posts
Louie, I think you have that backwards....SS would not stamp them when they shipped to Century. SSporters probably bought them via Century years ago, and Century forgot to mark them...now Century has them back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts