Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are these going for? This one was a Cole's Import with matching numbers and decent shape. Has a black 'P08' holster, extra magazine, and decent bore.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,322 Posts
I just don't get Luger prices. They are as plentiful as just about any other auto pistol, I see dozens at every gun show, but they command such high prices. Even "junkers" seem to go for over $500. I understand scarcity, condition, and demand very well, but Lugers seem to be outside that loop.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
The ones I have seen around here (shooter quality) tend to price out between $500.00 to $1000.00.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lugers are not in short supply. However, collector grade Lugers are hard to come by, especially if they have a matching magazine. These fetch very high prices. However, everyone with a shooter grade Luger figures it is collectible and tries to get on the bandwagon by asking unrealistic high prices.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,322 Posts
Well, I'm hoping to find a realistic Luger owner with a "shooter" Luger they want to sell at a realistic price. I trust there's one out there.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
It's the magic of the word "Luger" that makes those high prices. I'm speeking about the current variety, not the rare and more collectible ones.
It's a nice gun to have and to shoot, it's a part of the history were I live but the "shooters" are overrated and cost to much. The problem is that most people think (even those who couldn't tell the difference between a P08 and a P38) that they are so extremely rare and so perfect. Just for the fun of it: I traded an excellent Erfurt 1913 for a classic round kitchentable when I got married (the table costed 30$, the Luger only 20$). I admit, it was in 1967 ! Too many phantasies about those Lugers ... and we pay the price !!! They are not made of gold, but of rather good steel and a lot were made. Will the prices go up? Yes!!! Why? Because one can't control phantasy.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I hope you've still got the table, 'cause that Luger would be a $1000 gun today! If you can find a decent mismatched shooter for $500, you'd better buy it. And if you think that's expensive, try looking for a Colt SAA or old Winchester.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It is the only military handgun that looks both elegant and angry at the same time. Couple this to a long colorful battle history resulting in a romantically evil persona and you have instant collector value…there is nothing quite like it.

Even people who know very little of guns recognize the rakish Luger profile.

Found the one I wanted about a year ago, the guy wanted $1,300 and I had only $900.

Oh well, maybe one day….

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
No ... I don't have the kitchentable anymore :D. But the story is true!
A bit off topic, but just to tease the "youngsters", an excellent "left behind" 1911A1 Remington was bought voor 20 USD in 1962 (the value of the USD was about 65 % more as today). No ... I won't tell the story of my life but now young collectors will understand more easily why "the old people" often refuse to give a "normal price of today".

·
Registered
390 Posts
No ... I don't have the kitchentable anymore :D. But the story is true!
A bit off topic, but just to tease the "youngsters", an excellent "left behind" 1911A1 Remington was bought voor 20 USD in 1962 (the value of the USD was about 65 % more as today). No ... I won't tell the story of my life but now young collectors will understand more easily why "the old people" often refuse to give a "normal price of today".

It is very hard sometimes to pay prices asked for most anything for a geezer like me. I remember when older guys used to gripe about prices when I was a teen. I thought they were just grouchy; now I know where they were coming from.

I have stopped buying Lugers for two reasons: 1) there are so many fakes out there that even the experts have trouble agreeing on; 2) the prices, as noted here, are through the roof....but then my last SUV cost a mint.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Yeah, if you think guns are high, price a new pickup! All the years I was looking for a matching, exc, Swede 94 carbine, there was always some old-timer in every gun shop to tell me "I remember when they sold barrels of those things for $20 each!". After a while, I just responded, "If you'd been smart, you'd have bought them all!"

And I finally found my Swede at an auction for $330. All matching, 1932 date, near mint. Three people tried to buy it from me before I got out the door.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,322 Posts
Well, I found a "shooter" I was willing to spring for. The top is pretty good and matching, the bottom is fugly...but it shoots! New grips, a pin, a spring, a bit of 'smithing, and I've got a $475 Luger. Well, $535 after the new parts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, I found a "shooter" I was willing to spring for. The top is pretty good and matching, the bottom is fugly...but it shoots! New grips, a pin, a spring, a bit of 'smithing, and I've got a $475 Luger. Well, $535 after the new parts.
I'd say you did just fine. You did not hurt yourself with that price.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,322 Posts
Nah, and I'm having a bit of fun tweeking it into reliability. I'm also now frequenting the LugerForum and meeting a new bunch of gun-guys. When it's running 100% I'll sell it for $800 and buy myself a $1000 Luger ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Cole's Import Lugar

I got one a few years ago from SOG. The upper was all matching with what looks to me original finish the lower was renumbered to match the upper. The lower had been refinished I'm sure. It was a good looking gun. The problem was it would shoot one round load the second but not be cocked to shoot it. I guess you could say I had a single shot Lugar. But it looked so good I didn't want to send it back. It took a differant sideplate, trigger and trigger job. But now it shoots fine:D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Well. I want a decent looking shooter. Got the money now or will offer a perfect Taurus PT945 to offset trade.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
It's the magic of the word "Luger" that makes those high prices. I'm speeking about the current variety, not the rare and more collectible ones.
It's a nice gun to have and to shoot, it's a part of the history were I live but the "shooters" are overrated and cost to much. The problem is that most people think (even those who couldn't tell the difference between a P08 and a P38) that they are so extremely rare and so perfect. Just for the fun of it: I traded an excellent Erfurt 1913 for a classic round kitchentable when I got married (the table costed 30$, the Luger only 20$). I admit, it was in 1967 ! Too many phantasies about those Lugers ... and we pay the price !!! They are not made of gold, but of rather good steel and a lot were made. Will the prices go up? Yes!!! Why? Because one can't control phantasy.
Those wee the days when I paid little more than $120 USD for a Mauser S/42 with WaA63 code on the frame. The two/four serial numbers matched on everything but the grips and Mauser surplus magazine. It obviously wasn't a Russian capture Luger either, since the flow of guns from there came after the demise of the Soviet Union.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts