Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen how to remove the Russian Black paint but I can not remember where. I have 6 K98's for the first time I have one with the Black gunk. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
450 Posts
Acetone strips it right off. All I have seen is like varnish or laquer it is so thin.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's paint....All be it Russian paint....Try paint stripper....."Acetone" Will strip paint (the hard way) but was not made for that purpose.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good grief how much Russian paint have you guys had on your RC rifles? I have only seen a few parts with the junk on them and I do not know what you mean by "the hard way" as it cuts it right off, degreases and gets you down to bare blue steel so you can oil and move on.
My use of "paint stripper" products left discolored parts due to the chemical content of the stripper.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My use of "paint stripper" products left discolored parts due to the chemical content of the stripper.
Not sure what "parts" you had get dicolored.....I have only seen aprox several hundred Russian Capture rifles in person and x ? who knows how many in on line pics. paint stripper like acetone in the the short term will not remove blue. My only question would be....What parts did you put paint stripper on ? ....And why ? It is made to remove shellac, varnish , paint and some types of stain FROM WOOD! are there any other questions ? Why were you applying it to metal ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Holy cow!! wood!!! Darn I thought it was to clean the bore after corrosive ammo........

Nope, no more questions...acetone is bad and I will never use it again.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,264 Posts
I have used Denatured Alcohol,It does not harm the Blue finish or what ever the Russians put on.I have used it to strip the Red finish off the stock.It does not dry out the stock like some of the stronger Chemical stipppers.I Did strip off the red finish off a S/42 1936 98K because it had a Walnut stock and flatt buttplate.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts