Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I awoke this morning to hear that the Russian Army has invaded Georgia! I immediately called my elderly mother who lives near Carrollton, reached her on her cell phone and she said the invasion was news to her, but then again it turns out she and her husband are in St. Petersburg at the moment, and spending the time going to Devil-Ray games.
Now this is good news on a personal level, since relatives are not now in harms way, but begs the questions:
Why would Russkies invade Georgia? I though the big threat there was from neighboring state of Tennessee.
Why do they play baseball in St Petersburg? I thought Russkies were bigger hockey fans and had no interest in baseball.
And, if they did have interest in baseball, why would they join American League with those strange rules? Why not National League team?

·
Super Moderator
9,229 Posts
Russia, Georgia and Abkhasia

Abkhasia is a breakaway area of the former Soviet Georgia ( a "non-State"). It is supported by Russia, both financially and militarily; the Population are NOT Georgians, but more like Russians.
The Georgians say Abkhasia is part of Georgia (as it was under the Soviet regime). and have been harassing the Abkhasians ( a massacre some years ago was never forgiven or rectified), and have been trying to "re-incorporate" the area into Georgia proper.

A similar situation occurs in the neighboring area of Ossetia.

The Russians have promised to support the Independance claims of both Abkhasia and Ossetia, to the extent of even warring with Georgia.
The High Russian Ethnic populations of both these areas is due to several decades of Russian internal Migration under Stalin...Pockets of Ethnic Russians remain in a lot of the Former "Soviet Republics" ( Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova etc) creating from minor to major Political problems, right up to separation and "independance".

Abkhasia is one of those "non-existing"countries (nobody except the Russians and a couple of minor 3rd World nations recognise them).

PS, the Georgians have strong US links now, so greater Power Politics are at play in this Abkhasia situation.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Diamond Member
1,573 Posts
Crap!!! my brother lives in Atlanta.....guess I better go down there and help him move again.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I dont get it do u mean the state georgia or the country cause when you say russia i'm guessing the country why are u talking about the state?

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
The (un)reaction of the U.S. media is infuriating, but not surprising. They're just too busy reporting on the Olympics opening ceremony and John Edwards' love child. This could and probably will have major repercussions on policy decisions for many years. Welcome to the new world at 'peace.' Hey Obama, you ready??!

Poot

·
Registered
638 Posts
The (un)reaction of the U.S. media is infuriating, but not surprising. They're just too busy reporting on the Olympics opening ceremony and John Edwards love child. This could and probably will have major repercussions on policy decisions for many years. Welcome to the new world at 'peace.' Hey Obama, you ready??!

Poot
If I am not mistaken, Georgia is, technically, now allied with the U.S./NATO? No gold, silver or even bronze for the civilians there who are dying while the press attends the olympic games. I think that I may dislike the "press" even more than I dislike the Democrats.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,641 Posts
I just did a Wikipedia on Osetia, because I'm thinking, who are these people? It turns out they are decendants of steppe horsemen who lived between the Aral and Black seas during the early Roman empire. Later they ran through Europe with the Vandals while fighting the Huns, and ended up in North Africa. The ones in the Caucasus today stayed closer to home and speak their old language which is close to Persian. Since these guys traveled all over the place they probably made it to Atlanta too.

·
Banned
10,396 Posts
It seems the tanks have rolled into Ossetia (I believe the SOAR - South Ossetian Autonomous Region) to protect the Gazprom pipelines, which the Georgians have been poaching and sabotaging for years.

I have a vested interest in the outcome, as my wife and I are major shareholders in Gazprom.

Flown over Georgia a LOT - beautiful country. The Caucasus are simply stunning, and Tbilisi is sure "interesting" from the air (in not a good way) - very similar to Iran in many ways (the people are ethnically almost Iranian also). I could be wrong, but I think Georgia's only resource is food crops and Borjomi water, so you can be assured the USA and the rest of the world won't give a rat's a$$ what happens there.

And in other news, Australia beat Bielorus in the women's basketball at the Olympics :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
The (un)reaction of the U.S. media is infuriating, but not surprising. They're just too busy reporting on the Olympics opening ceremony and John Edwards' love child. This could and probably will have major repercussions on policy decisions for many years. Welcome to the new world at 'peace.' Hey Obama, you ready??!

Poot
At least one pundit says that is precisely why this action has taken place at this time. The BBC News website has a whole piece on the conflict.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7550804.stm

·
Registered
774 Posts
Anybody spotted any Mosins yet?

I'm waiting eagerly, feed me with pics or links if you find some. :D

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Well, seems we have 1K US troops in Georgia training their military and we have sponsored them (as with other former Soviet satellite states) for NATO membership. Georgia has troops in Iraq with our other allies. We are linked directly and may be obligated in some way to help. The plot thickens... DDR

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hey Obama and McCain: let the europeans fight this out out by themselves.

·
Diamond Member
708 Posts
Good thing that Georgia is not in NATO yet. NATO's obligation is to defend any member that is invaded. If that was the case, in theory, we would be at war with Russia today. This plot will thicken over time. Expect the mess to get deeper.

·
Diamond Member
1,573 Posts
I thought I recognized the name Osetia! its actually Bubba Osetia!

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Hey Obama and McCain: let the europeans fight this out out by themselves.

I see your point Zam but probably like you, I really doubt that the EU will raise more than a disapproving sniff towards this affair. The bureaucrats will expect you-know-who to jump into the breach on their behalf. That way, they can spend years criticizing us after the fact...

Poot

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.