Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the russians stopped the production of 7.62x39mm akm series rifles?

PS. I'm talking about classic akm, not ak-100 series rifles.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
I am not too sure they did. While majority of their forces supposed to have AK-74M, the AKM is still issued in its special silenced kit. The kit is made of AKM+silencer+special ammunition.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not too sure they did. While majority of their forces supposed to have AK-74M, the AKM is still issued in its special silenced kit. The kit is made of AKM+silencer+special ammunition.
Neither do I. According to Tantal's site (http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/variants.html ), ak74 production started in 1976, but I haven't found yet any reference considering the end date of the akm production.

At least the akm is still listed on the Izmash product catalogue (http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/akm.shtml). But are those new production, or refurbished older rifles, stays unclear. I presume refurbished ones.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Considering people are finding Saiga 7.62x39 rifles with 14x1mm LH threads under the FSB they are making AKM components still at least, as no AK-100 uses a threaded barrel only FSB.

Also I'd say Izmash would make you anything you would like for some serious cash, like for a govt entity.
Group buy anyone?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
They could be new production or refurbing older made rifles. Tula may be doing the same. I want the orange handle type I
for my collection, I have two maroon handles but I need an orange handle.

Bill

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
According to reading I have done - AKM production stopped sometinme after AK74 started. Soviets found that export sales had dwindeled as a result. Restarted 7.62x39 rifle with the AK100 series to to regain lost market share.

That said - would'nt bet money either way. Certainly have'nt seen a date for AKM production stopping.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Actually the link given above does give a stop date.

"It was not until 1979 that a clearly unique serial numbering range was fully implemented for the AK-74 rifle. In 1979, when AKM production was canceled and AK-74 production was initiated on all assembly lines at Izhevsk, a single range within the 200,000 mark was effectively used even until the present day. Due to the convoluted method of serialization, there are many pre-'79 rifles with serial numbers higher than those made after 1979. Most of these can be recognized as having serial"

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the link given above does give a stop date.
Oops. Thanks Tom-M. I should read my own background material more better...

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they still manufacture some spare parts and refurbish their older x39mm rifles in stock.

According to world.guns.ru -website, some non-infantry units are still armed with akm rifles and most likely there are stockpiles of them reserved for reserve formations for the case of mobilization.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I dont think it is very common for entire military organizations to purge themselves of so-called obsolete weapons. The AKM certainly would not have been declared obsolete for a long time after that.

Other examples:

M16A1 used in the First Gulf War
An M1D in my collection marked as used for sniper training by Minnesota National Guard in 1991.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
M16A1 used in the First Gulf War
An M1D in my collection marked as used for sniper training by Minnesota National Guard in 1991.
That modern stuff? ;)

Last Finnish bolt action Mosin-Nagant M39 rifles (based on russian Mosin-Nagant obr. 1891g rifle) were removed from finnish army mobilization reserves in 1999 or 2000...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You must keep in mind they're currently manufacturing weapons for export to various countries/militaries in various configurations. You can have the Izmash arsenal create whatever rifles your military requires in most configurations/models you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts