Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I went to storage yesterday and loaded up some assorted cases of Russian Ammo in spam cans.

This is my new project for a while.....:)
I got out a couple cans and spent some time trying to figure out what it is.
I printed out some information on identifying the Russian spam cans.
I know when it was made, etc. (1954)
I think I know the type of case type ( Brass case ?).
I think it is under 150 grain ? ( Not sure what grain). ( lite ball?) (mild steel core?)
Any thing that anyone can add to this or make corrections?
I never paid any attention to what any of it was, just shot it at paper.
Thank You!
Ron
DSCN1033.JPG

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I didn't know it was Bulgarian.

Good to know.
Maybe that is why I was having a hard time getting information.:)
I was trying not to open up anymore cans,
It is easier to store not opened.
I don't know if it is good or bad. Never shot any of it. I have several cans of it.

Vitaminboy, I am having the same problem with the new Gunboards, But I will learn.

Thanks again.
Ron

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
The Circle 10 is what indicates Bulgarian. If the ammo has yellow tips, then it is lead cor heavy ball, 182gr. M44's and M39's like it better than light ball in my experience.

Bulgarian Heavy Ball
The tin lid would have the yellow paint strip if heavy ball was inside. The makings are in great condition so the absence of the heavy ball indication means 148gr lead core type L ball Inside.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
It is 1954 manufactured Bulgarian LIGHT BALL. The "Lambda" (Л) symbol behind the 7.62 indicates it is "L" ball, a ~150 grain flat-based bullet forerunner to the more modern boat-tailed,steel jacketed "LPS" (ЛПС) bullet.

The marking for the heavy ball bullet at the time would have been a "P" (П)., with the yellow stripe.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It is 1954 manufactured Bulgarian LIGHT BALL. The "Lambda" (Л) symbol behind the 7.62 indicates it is "L" ball, a ~150 grain flat-based bullet forerunner to the more modern boat-tailed,steel jacketed "LPS" (ЛПС) bullet.

The marking for the heavy ball bullet at the time would have been a "P" (П)., with the yellow stripe.
Such a subtle difference. Obviously the picture I posted in response is heavy ball with the yellow paint but it doesn't look like a "P". I always have a hard time determining some of the markings from 7.62x54.net. So much to learn. Thank you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So it is Л for light ball versus Д for lead core heavy ball. I still don't quite see it as far as on the can goes but I just read the symbol for the heavy ball was only used up to 1953.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts