Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Finland wouldn't join NATO because of its location to Russia or it would have 40 years ago. Plus this guy is a moron who was quoted. That publication must be a Russian version of the Enquirer.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,759 Posts
Hi Vic,

Valentina reads the Russian news daily on her tablet and the amount of "Bald Ship" being published these days doesn't speak well for "Vlad the Impaler" and his approach to international politics.

My Russian business partner is not the least bit impressed with Vlad's decision to reconstitute "Greater Russia."

Nick describes Russia as it exists today pretty much along the same lines as an extremely large gas station that supports two major cities, i.e. Moscow and St. Petersburg.

With the E.U.'s energy needs supplied by Russia and with Obama in the Whitehouse Vlad has correctly weighed his options after the "pink line" in Syria proved that the current leadership in the U.S. is going to do absolutely nothing to slow Vlad down.

I truly feel for Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic etc. who are wondering whether or not NATO or the U.S. will really live up to their treaty commitments or not? Otherwise, bend over and grab your ankles!

Note that in the same time frame, China has seen fit to place a drilling platform in the disputed waters in the South China Sea in an area contested by Vietnam. Don't think for a moment that this is a coincidence. It's not!!!

The last point that I would make is that based on History, Vlad will never take for granted the position of Finland. One of Valentina's Grandfathers was killed fighting the Finns during the Winter War. The Russians will never underestimate the will and fighting spirit of the Finns. A very smart position to take relative to the lessons taught by History.

Always a pleasure Bud.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Copper Bullet Member
827 Posts
I've got a friend who is currently serving in the Finnish Army (Artillery) and has been doing so for the past 20+ years. We chat on FB every now and then, mostly about Mosins and muscle cars. About 4 years ago he started bringing up the topic of Putin and Russia. At first I thought he was a bit paranoid but his predictions then of Putins future endeavors have come true. He says the Finns have been training for years to deal with the Russians and he is under no illusion that NATO or the EU will help Finland should Putin decide yet again to expand the Russian empire. He has also said that the Finnish military has been suffering huge budget cuts and joining the EU has been the main reason behind these. Putins popularity is currently at an all time high in Russia and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he orchestrated some kind of international incident and put his crosshairs on Finland. The man plays chess while we play checkers. Since Uncle Joe couldn't bring the Finns back in to the empire maybe Vovochka will see that as a challenge. I sincerely hope not.

·
Registered
18,533 Posts
Something about a Grand Duchery and historic territory... OH and claims that they were too friendly with Germany and hence endangered Lenningrad...
Because they could
Ethnically, the 'russians' they would complain about, are actual Karenina and hence, Finland would have more of a claim to invade russia....

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
....What does Finland have in resources that Russia would be willing to kill and die for ? No oil, lotsa wood, but Russia is awash in wood, not naval bases, since Russia has an enormous naval base across the Baltic. Not a large Russian ethnic presence, as Estonia does. I can't see a political or resource reason for Russia to attack Finland.
....More important than NATO, the Finns are part of the European Union. Putin messing around in Ukraine probably won't trigger any important EU response. I expect that if Putin invaded Finland, Europe would set themselves hard against Russian interests for a long time. Not something to take lightly. The Russians aren't very good at managing Russia. Ruling Finland is probably more than they are capable of without Stalins type of dictatorship.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
.....The Finnish-Russian borders are where Uncle Joe set them. Russia won The Great Patriotic War, but lost Afghanistan and Ukraine is ongoing. Hitler had a similar conundrum concerning Switzerland. Three times he sat down and pencilled out whether to invade, but he knew the Swiss would destroy their industrial base and retreat to the mountains. Each time it pencilled out to be a loser. I suspect that, had Germany won, Switzerland and Sweden would have become vassal states, like Vichy, but who knows ?

...Russia doesn't do very well in small wars . Either do we. Complete devastation gives the opportunity to start anew, but small wars leave all the players intact and angry.

3,522 Posts
This is a very interesting Thread with comments made by individuals who obviously know what they are talking about! I am no longer qualified to add anything of value beyond pointing out that Russia has about 41% of all the worlds softwood forests (pine, fir ,etc species) with a very poor transportation system to move forest products to the market. From a strategic standpoint I don't see how Finland could be any threat what so ever to Russia's Northern Fleet operating out of the Kola Inlet or to the Russian Baltic Fleet which is virtually landlocked anyhow.

·
Silver Bullet member
53,003 Posts
Any thing that would bring world wide view.....not acclimated to a new offenses against Russia....
or based on historical past problems......would not fly...fly long at least...

Now USA is looking to send natural gas to Ukraine, along with taking there 3 rd largest untapped natural gas resources giving money technology to tap into it making them self suffent, directly competing with sales in natural gas to Europe ...
we interfere long distance in many anti Russian ventures ....insisting on helping those we can't protect.....after anger rears it's bear head....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts