Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
Boo. Melting down historical firearms to make steel ingots to sell to China.

I can understand the various automatic AKs and PKs, which cannot be resold on the civilian market. But there's a lot of money to be made in the US and elsewhere from a large supply of non-automatic weapons like Mosins and SKSs.

I wonder if the remaining stockpiles of RC K98s will be melted down as well. :(

(Russia should convice China to melt down their stockpiles of SKSs (not importable) into ingots so that the Russian SKSs (importable C&Rs) can be saved from destruction and sold on the US market.)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,774 Posts
And we haven't imported historical Mosins from Russia anyway. It is a shame for everyone, since the price of a Mosin as a rifle is likely higher than its value in steel.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,174 Posts
I'm not worried about yet another '42 91/30 being lost to history, but think about all of the captured G/K43s, the P.08s, the yet to be re-discovered M91s (I can always hope...), and many, many others.

Pat

·
Registered
61 Posts
China needs the steel to fill orders for Walmart shelves. :p

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
China needs that good weapons-grade steel to make more rifles to conquer the world.
(Sorry, that sounded too negative and political -China needs that good weapons-grade steel to make more rifles to defend its borders against those dangerous Tibetan Buddhist priests.)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Given that Russia's entry into the WTO is supposed to negate that damned "Voluntary Restraint Agreement" that limited what arms they can export to America (they get to keep only one such trade restraint agreement intact after joining the WTO, and it's virtually unthinkable that the arms agreement is the one they'd choose to keep), why wouldn't they want to sell all these guns to American markets?

I'm wondering if perhaps the guns they're going to destroy are mostly in junk condition (aside from the AKs, which can't be imported to the US because they're full-auto), and they're making this announcement to spike prices of the ones they don't destroy. Plus, since Mosins and Nagant revolvers were always exempted from the trade restriction, how many do the Russians even have left? I would've thought that most of them were already in the US.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,091 Posts
No! No! Not the Tula Tokarevs!!!! :cry:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.