Gunboards Forums banner

ruger security six

18K views 58 replies 30 participants last post by  JB 
#1 ·
got my eye on a ruger .357 magnum

revolver with a 6 inch barrel. before i

buy i like to get some input from experts.

im curious about quality , durability and

reliability. it is a security six model

thanks
FIVESHOT

#34 ·
I own a ruger security six and understand that they are among the best revolvers, but I have had an issue with mine where the hammer strike/mechanism seems to 'freeze up' and become difficult to fire after 6 or 8 six shot loads have been cycled through. Anyone ever seen this before ? And if so, is it fixable ?

#35 ·
What ammo and just exactly what "freezes"?

Some particularly cruddy-shooting handload, or is something worn badly?

How do you "fix" it to shoot another 6 or 8 cylinders?

If you clean it, EXACTLY where "crud removal" frees it back up?

#38 ·
I recently bought one, and it is out of time.

A call to Ruger indicates they have almost no replacement parts available. The representative told me that if the revolver is out of time, generally a new cylinder is required and they have none available.

I am going to send it in anyway, but I may wind up with a very expensive paperweight.

#47 ·
I recently bought one, and it is out of time.

A call to Ruger indicates they have almost no replacement parts available. The representative told me that if the revolver is out of time, generally a new cylinder is required and they have none available.

I am going to send it in anyway, but I may wind up with a very expensive paperweight.

Before you give up on it consider that it could be the Pawl (hand) is worn & not moving the cylinder quite far enough. When you cock the hammer (unloaded of course) try to turn the cylinder by hand & see if it moves very much. Also, I have seen gunsmiths add a bit of weld & reshape the timing star to put old guns back in service.

#39 ·
The PA State Troopers used to carry 6" Security Six's in stainless back in the late 1970's,IIRC, the last revolvers they were issued.
I have owned 4 of them over the years,4" and 6", as well as a Speed Six. They are my favorite Ruger revolvers, but they are long out of production. If you have knowledge of revolvers, and check it over to your satisfaction, I can't imagine you would go wrong with it. They were way way overbuilt, and they generally took 20 years of regular shooting before they were broken in from new. I don't see many for sale recently-I assume most owners want to keep them. They are very accurate reliable revolvers, and the 2 peoblems I can think of are -the very old models have a unique grip strap shape and there are NO replacement grips for them. AND- the design of the grip transmits lots of force back to the shooter...The GP 100 replaced the SS's and many think they were a great improvement...then again, many do not.
ADDED- For $280, you stole it-congratulations! It is built like a dump truck, and a really great revolver.

mark

#43 ·
Here's mine. There's no doubt it's my favorite revolver I own. Very accurate, built like a tank, and now that I've refinished her (Rust Blue), she rivals some of the more finely finished revolvers out there. You practically stole yours for the price you posted. You will enjoy it and she will last several lifetimes if you upkeep her.

#53 ·
My stainless 4" Sec Six was the first handgun I purchased, back in about 1981 or 1982.
VERY reliable handgun, and shot untold thousands of 38/357 through it with no problems whatsoever.

Replaced it at some point with the stainless GP-100 with 6" barrel, and sold the Sec' 6 for more money than I paid for it.

An acquaintance of mine had a Sec Six, and told me he'd bought a reloading press, dies, and powder.
Incredibly, he didn't read up on how to handload, and was pretty much filling the 357 cases with Bullseye!
After a cylinder or two, his hand really hurt, he said.
I told him to take the pistol to a smith ASAP and have it checked out.
Checked out just fine.
Love the one piece frames of the Sec Six.

#55 ·
NIB Secirty Six

Thought I would add a few photos of my vintage NIB Security Six SS. I purchased it quite early after Ruger's introduction of stainless. I concur with the observations concerning the ruggedness of this weapon and contemporary evaluations to that conclusion. It is indeed a nice weapon. I have long been a S&W "N" frame enthusiast. To that extent, I'm a bit prejudiced but I do believe that the S&W of comparable vintage seems a bit finer in overall fit and finish. Just...
My take.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#57 ·
I have long been a S&W "N" frame enthusiast. To that extent, I'm a bit prejudiced but I do believe that the S&W of comparable vintage seems a bit finer in overall fit and finish. Just...
My take.
I own several Ruger revolvers. They're nice guns, but I agree the S&W's is more refined. They have the edge in the trigger department for sure. Of course someone will now post and tell about their 686 that flew apart on the first cylinder full, but I've found S&W quality control to be much higher as well. Ruger does a super job of handling warranty issues though.

#58 ·
I would not go so far as to say S&W has better quality control. That would be overstating the differences I believe. I have seen, or heard of, very few issues with Ruger revolvers and no more than I have Smiths. And in pistols, well lets just say both Ruger and S&W have had their own issues with various models.

Smiths tend to be built more refined and Rugers tend to be built more rugged for durablity and the ability to handle the heaviest loads without issue. The Redhawk is not as refined as the model 29, but will handle heavy loads far easier far longer. This has been a general historical characteristic for most equivelent sized/caliber Smiths and Rugers all the way down to the smallest CC model like the SP101 Ruger and Model 60 Chiefs Special.

When I went to buy a CC .357 revolver with 3 inch barrel I looked closely at both, and they were very close and either would have worked well. The Ruger was larger, heavier and not as refined. The Smith was sleeker, more refined and had a slightly better action. I went with the Ruger because I felt it would shoot a lifeling diet of .357 magnums and hold up better. It has not been a disappointment.

You wont go wrong with either company I believe.

#59 ·
S&W isn't above problems, but over the years I sold both, I saw far more issues with Ruger guns coming straight from the factory. That's my experience. Other may have seen differently. I'm sure every gun company has had a lemon or two slip through the doors at one time but Ruger always seemed to have a higher percentage among the better gun companies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.