Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
I have a 6" SS Security Six and it is very accurate , the only issue I have is that when I fire 12 to 18 rounds thru it the cylinder doesnt want to rotate until I clean the top strap and barrel area.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,950 Posts
I have a 6" SS Security Six and it is very accurate , the only issue I have is that when I fire 12 to 18 rounds thru it the cylinder doesnt want to rotate until I clean the top strap and barrel area.
That is highly unusual in my experience with them. Fired many rounds through my blued Security with a 2 3/4" barrel with never a hickup. None. All full house 357 factory loads fired through it.
It was like a Timex watch. Would take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Sadly it was stolen out of my vehicle one night.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Biggs

it sounds like you are shooting 38 special

through your ruger, and cheap reloads at

that. Only thing i could imagine affecting

your cylinder rotation is a build up of crusty

powder residue. It is known to happen with

some powder and especially 38 special. Often

it will foul the cylinder to the effect you can

barely push a magnum round in without a good

brushing of the chambers

fiveshot

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
I think your right five shot. when I use it , it is usually reloads in .38 with unique or worse ---Bullseye I still have a bunch of loaded ammo I loaded in the late 70s that Im trying to use up. I'll try some 357 and run some thru it (factory) and see if the problem still exists. I thought that there was a clearance issue between the cylinder and throat.
On my part "DUH" Thanks

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
I did up some starting loads in .357 with unique and lead bullets for a plinking load and within 4 cylinders it was binding up. Had to completely disassemble it to get her clean. Never again! I stick to my near max H110 loads and jacketed bullets in mine and it runs like a clock ever since.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think your right five shot. when I use it , it is usually reloads in .38 with unique or worse ---Bullseye I still have a bunch of loaded ammo I loaded in the late 70s that Im trying to use up. I'll try some 357 and run some thru it (factory) and see if the problem still exists. I thought that there was a clearance issue between the cylinder and throat.
On my part "DUH" Thanks
Mine was SS and it would lead easily. Even with good hard cast bullets it would require the Lewis tool after shooting. I have no problem with my blued Blackhawk but I load even my softest cast bullets in .357 brass (light loads) to avoid lead shaving in the cylinder.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,950 Posts
Biggs

it sounds like you are shooting 38 special

through your ruger, and cheap reloads at

that. Only thing i could imagine affecting

your cylinder rotation is a build up of crusty

powder residue. It is known to happen with

some powder and especially 38 special. Often

it will foul the cylinder to the effect you can

barely push a magnum round in without a good

brushing of the chambers

fiveshot
This sounds like something more for the Handloading forum but I agree. One reason I don't shoot many 38's through my Marlin 1894. Those that handoad and don't trim their cases to the same length can run across this problem. As shooting a few shorter cases with powders that leave a residue can cause other cases to not seat fully in the cylinder. Hence lock up the cylinder.
I don't think it's a problem of the bullets used, no rifling in the cylinder, as more the powder and case length. Be consistant with your case length and always clean your cylinder after shooting to remove any residue.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I did up some starting loads in .357 with unique and lead bullets for a plinking load and within 4 cylinders it was binding up. Had to completely disassemble it to get her clean. Never again! I stick to my near max H110 loads and jacketed bullets in mine and it runs like a clock ever since.
"Starting Loads" and "Unique".

Great combination for just dirty cruddy.
I'm not surprised.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,560 Posts
I really like my Six series rugers, I have a Speed Six 4", (no rear sight) A service six 4" which is in the hands of my youngest Son and two Security Sixes. A SS 3" 9mm and an unfired 6" blue in the original box and wrapper. they are accurate reliable and indestructable. I however have to dissagree with other posters about the GP 100 which is the successor to the Six series. they are a worthy successor and every bit as rugged and dependable as their predessesor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own a ruger security six and understand that they are among the best revolvers, but I have had an issue with mine where the hammer strike/mechanism seems to 'freeze up' and become difficult to fire after 6 or 8 six shot loads have been cycled through. Anyone ever seen this before ? And if so, is it fixable ?

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
What ammo and just exactly what "freezes"?

Some particularly cruddy-shooting handload, or is something worn badly?

How do you "fix" it to shoot another 6 or 8 cylinders?

If you clean it, EXACTLY where "crud removal" frees it back up?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently bought one, and it is out of time.

A call to Ruger indicates they have almost no replacement parts available. The representative told me that if the revolver is out of time, generally a new cylinder is required and they have none available.

I am going to send it in anyway, but I may wind up with a very expensive paperweight.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The PA State Troopers used to carry 6" Security Six's in stainless back in the late 1970's,IIRC, the last revolvers they were issued.
I have owned 4 of them over the years,4" and 6", as well as a Speed Six. They are my favorite Ruger revolvers, but they are long out of production. If you have knowledge of revolvers, and check it over to your satisfaction, I can't imagine you would go wrong with it. They were way way overbuilt, and they generally took 20 years of regular shooting before they were broken in from new. I don't see many for sale recently-I assume most owners want to keep them. They are very accurate reliable revolvers, and the 2 peoblems I can think of are -the very old models have a unique grip strap shape and there are NO replacement grips for them. AND- the design of the grip transmits lots of force back to the shooter...The GP 100 replaced the SS's and many think they were a great improvement...then again, many do not.
ADDED- For $280, you stole it-congratulations! It is built like a dump truck, and a really great revolver.

mark

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.