Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my eye on a ruger .357 magnum

revolver with a 6 inch barrel. before i

buy i like to get some input from experts.

im curious about quality , durability and

reliability. it is a security six model

thanks
FIVESHOT

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a high quality handgun like you would expect from Ruger! And I have had a few chances to own one...but I have been (holding out) for the "holy grail" of a 9mm model that
uses half-moon clips! The 2 models known as security six & speed six were a short lived offering that had fixed or adjustable sights. The 9mm model if my memory is right was
the only one with adjustable sights! (Im still kicking myself for not purchasing the .357 I had my hands on over 10 yrs ago in a local pawn shop)!!! If that gun is in good
condition, then "put on your best poker-face" & add it to your collection!!!:)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The Security Six is basically Rugers competition to the S&W 19. While some will argue it was not as finely finished, no one can disagree with the fact that it was built to handle far more abuse with heavy magnums. It is a fine revolver which will give fine service, as long as it is not compeltely trashed, a tough task, to begin with.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Extremely well made. Production stopped and was replaced by the gp100 which was much cheaper to produce. Will handle a never ending diet of max loads. Very accurate. Mine has out shot the 3 other S&W .357's that I have owned in the past. I also have a snubby speed six that will easily shoot ragged holes off hand at 20yds.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
My 4" Security Six with adjustable sights is built like a tank and has been my day in, day out handgun for over 10 years on the land I work on. I keep it loaded with max loads and it is always close by. Taken countless game animals to 300+ pounds (feral hog) and put down several sick cattle to 1200 lbs without incident. ***** to gators; it can do it all!

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,901 Posts
You'll never regret owning a Security Six.

I bought my stainless 4" back around the time they were issuing all newer production with the "Stupid Owner's Motto" stamped on the barrel: 'Hey stupid, read the directions before handling this firearm' or somesuch verbiage. Mine was one of the last ones in the gunshop NOT marked, so I grabbed it and ran. IN the subsequent 33 years, I've fired thousands of rounds thru it, most maximum loads. It still performs like new.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,950 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Ruger Security Six will out last either a Colt Python or a S&W revolver. They can take more abuse than the other big brands. Additionally, there are few screws on an adjustable sight SS. Screws tend to loosen and must be tightened every now and then. Two of the four screws are on the rear sight, one is on the grip and if you flip the gun upside down, you'll see one by the recoil shield.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The screw that holds the cylinder release button is secured with Loc Tite by Ruger. If you don't fool with it, it will never go anywhere.

You bought the best .357 revolver ever made, and I am also a S&W fan as well as a Ruger fanatic....the Ruger Security/Speed/Service Six series and the GP100 are far tougher than any S&W.

Don't believe what the S&W fanboys will tell you about the "horrible trigger" of the Ruger, I hear it all the time on various forums. Rugers were made to be tank tough duty and field revolvers, not 25-yard bullseye guns.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
The only complaint I have about my old Security Six 4" stainless is that my stepfather has it now and I'll likely only get it it back if I outlive him ;) I (mom) bought mine in 1981 (age 15), my first centerfire pistol. I wrung it out for about 15 years and dad needed it for traveling and I was all into semi-autos by then. It was the most accurate handgun I ever owned, still is from what he says...:cry: I can't see that purchase ever being ill advised compared to anything, congrats.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My Ruger revolvers are the first guns I bought where I felt like I was investing in a firearm for life, and a permanent part of my collection no matter how much I shoot them. I consider my Rugers the "anchors" or keystones of my collection, many will come and go but the Rugers will never go anywhere and I expect to be firing rounds out of them until the day they put me in the ground, probably still clutching one of my Service Sixes!

I also love S&W's but I always feel the need to baby them and I have that "hope I don't break it" feeling when I shoot them alot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They are solid revolvers. They are reasonably accurate, or at least more so than me.

The Security Six is the model with adjustable sights and the Service Six is the model with fixed sights. I have one of each. The Speed Six is the compact model. I don't have one yet.

Be aware that early Security Sixes had different shaped butts, so finding grips can be a pain. I think the serial numbers of the guns with the early butt style are lower than 151-.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Of the three, Speed Six, Service Six, and Security Six, they were all for all intent and purposes, just alike with minor exceptions. The main one being with the Security Six which has a heavier top-strap to accomodate the adjustable sight, and was available with Pachmayer "Presentation" grips, while the other 2 had grooved top-straps and wooden grips.
I have a stainless 4" Security-Six with the Pachmayer grips. It's a sheer joy to shoot even with "hot" .357 mag loads! Extremely accurate too!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.