Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With a few adjustments and refinements, they'll be there.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Pistol&subtype=Centerfire Autoloading&famlst=62

Sure the plastic frame is amazingly similar to the existing P345, but striker fired is a pretty radical design departure for them.

Design the next one to have removable grip panels to tailor to personal fit preferences better than just with the reversible backstrap, so I won't have to wrestle on one of those rubber grip sleeves:D

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'm hoping to have one to T&E before too long and will let you know what I think of it.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,642 Posts
If Ruger is still pondering their entry into the 21st Century, it seems liek thay are slow and behing the times.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If Ruger is still pondering their entry into the 21st Century, it seems liek thay are slow and behing the times.
Ya Think?:D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Looks good. Safety and slide release levers look small and the slide edges look a bit sharp. I wonder what the plate on the left hand side of the frame is for?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The plate on the left hand side of the frame is where they put the serial number.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ah, right on, makes sense, but I think it would look better under the dust guard.;)

·
Banned
67 Posts
I would say that Ruger is still trying to enter the 1980s, as least as far as their auto pistols go. I mean, a NEW polymer frame wondernine in 2007? I just have to ask, well, why?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Newbie - I suppose you also refuse to buy S&W products because their former Brit owners made that stupid deal with the Clinton Administration - which the new owners have declared null and void? Bill Ruger, who made that remark, it long gone and the company is a major financial backer of the NRA and many other pro-gun programs. Keep on bashing your friends and see if they support you when the chips are down? Sheesh........

·
Registered
10 Posts
i guess i'll throw my .02 out there as well,...

while i do understand your position krag, and you're very correct sir, i'd still agree with newbie. simple fact is that bill ruger was honored and well respected before his "rolling" on the gun community, and so what did he do to his friends when they supported him? on top of that, he was ruger firearms in the living form, therefore what he did then, no matter who owns it now, has done more damage to that company then anyone will ever be able to correct. it's actually quite sad that this company is just now coming out with a "wonder nine" after all these years and it's even a better example of how mis-managed and confused this company really is. they fail to see major market trends and yet want to be absolved of the political decisions that one of the founders of their company made. again, i think bill ruger forced the company down the DELETED BY MJL, for lack of a better description, and now who wants to trust a comapny like that or buy their products when they're so out of touch with the market and their customer base. personally, i wish them no ill will and they have indeed been put through hell, yet i didn't make corporate decisions for them and neither has newbie, you (krag), nor anyone else here. with that being said, it shouldn't come as a surprize that people are still "sore" over the lack of judgement bill ruger showed. and indeed, maybe under this new ownership they can once again claim back some respect and show some new innovations. but it seems to me, and apparently others as well, that they have a long, long way to go.

waruironin

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think old man Ruger is rolling over in his grave. He made guns he liked. I don't think this would be one of them.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It really doesn't matter what the Bossman likes. It is vital to a profitable business to make what the CUSTOMER likes. Bill Ruger lost sight of that in his last few years of life.

Nevertheless, Ruger remains a pioneer in metallurgy and casting technology. It's inaccurate to say they are confused and out of touch, but as anything run by a board or committee, changes can be slow in coming.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the fit, finish, feel and performance of my P-345. Sure it's still got a hammer, and low-cap mags, but it has a great trigger outta the box, which is more than can be said of many previous Ruger P- models, and is a damn sight better than the stock SA XD trigger. It suits me for carry AND target shooting, unlike many other firearms of mine, which are either one or the other, but not both.

Hold the old Bill Ruger grudge, if you must, but it's yesterday's news. The old tired whine about mag capacity hasn't been an issue for quite a while. The new SR9 has 17+1 capacity. Hardly low cap. And I just bought some brand new Ruger hi-cap mags for my P-89. Get with the current specs, and maybe you too can step into the 21st Century once Ruger does.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I received an SR9 yesterday and can state without reservation that is is a fine pistol. Slim, light, excellent ergonomics, materials, fit and construction. The trigger could be better but then it's an out of the box pistol and I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I've run a few 1000 rounds through it.

All in all I like it and plan to keep it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
...Nevertheless, Ruger remains a pioneer in metallurgy and casting technology....I'm happy with the fit, finish, feel and performance of my P-345. Sure it's still got a hammer, and low-cap mags, but...Hold the old Bill Ruger grudge, if you must, but it's yesterday's news. The old tired whine about mag capacity hasn't been an issue for quite a while...
I agree, in my opinion, Ruger builds quality guns that function and last, are generally aesthetically-pleasing, priced competitively, and built here in the US. As for having a hammer and being low-cap; I don't consider either to be a bad thing and my closest-to-perfect pistol, a SigSauer P220, has these same two characteristics.

I hope it, as well as the new S&W pistols, turn out to be commercial successes!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Interesting conversation, BUT, I cannot accept foul language of any sort on this forum. This is a family site. Keep you language in check or I will not edit your posts in the future; I will delete them. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
772 Posts
AZshooter quote "Otherwise, I'm happy with the fit, finish, feel and performance of my P-345. Sure it's still got a hammer, and low-cap mags, but it has a great trigger outta the box, which is more than can be said of many previous Ruger P- models, and is a damn sight better than the stock SA XD trigger. It suits me for carry AND target shooting, unlike many other firearms of mine, which are either one or the other, but not both."

I wasn't trying to bash Ruger. I own a P345 and use it for home defence. It has over 6000 rnds through it. It has a trigger that will match any of my Sigs, it is accurate (have shot it at 50yds many times), it will not fail and still looks brand new. I don't think Bill Ruger would have liked the P345 either. I'm actually very fond of many of Rugers products.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sturm,Ruger is a corporate entity. Holding hard feelings against a corporation for the words of their dead co-founder does not make sense to me.

Personally, I had a beef with Ruger when they destroyed a .22 pistol I sent them for repair. This was done without my permission or prior knowledge. This is the same pistol that held emotional value to myself because it was one my late father and I used the last time we went shooting...and many times prior to that. They had the gall to charge me for a replacement, stating that I had broken them dang thing by putting it back together wrong. That is just not true. The customer service folks just blew me off so I wrote to Bill Ruger himself and sought explanation. I did not get so much as a response to several letters I wrote to him. In the end I wrote him saying I would not purchase another new Ruger product until he was gone. He is gone and I will go back to buying their products. They make good guns. Heck, I liked the fact that Bill Ruger made the guns he wanted to make and not what some market research firm said he should make. His selection of guns was quirky and wonderful; like he was. Regardless, he is gone now. Enjoy their guns. Ruger is one of the last of the true independent forces in the arms industry. If we do not support them I shudder to see what will or will not replace them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting conversation, BUT, I cannot accept foul language of any sort on this forum. This is a family site. Keep you language in check or I will not edit your posts in the future; I will delete them. Thanks!:)
Understood, you are correct, and I should have known better. My apologies for my choice of words.

Newbie - I suppose you also refuse to buy S&W products because their former Brit owners made that stupid deal with the Clinton Administration - which the new owners have declared null and void? Bill Ruger, who made that remark, it long gone and the company is a major financial backer of the NRA and many other pro-gun programs. Keep on bashing your friends and see if they support you when the chips are down? Sheesh........
I can not call someone that assisted in giving us the 10rnd limit, the aw ban, and a dangerous president, a friend. Honestly, tossing a few bucks at the nra isn't much of a "convincer" either as I have some serious disagreements with actions they've taken and statements by their leadership. If you believe their policy towards "reasonable restriction" has changed, I ask for a link to a product, they produce or official statement/action that supports this claim. I don't mind being shown I am wrong.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I've been playing (?) with my Ruger SR9 and find it a very admirable pistol. Slim, light, ergonomically pleasing and suitably accurate. Haven't bench tested it yet but offhand shooting shows it has all the "combat accuracy" one might desire. Trigger is a bit stiff but seems to be smoothing out. I especially like the flat profile, ambi safety levers. I would venture to say it would serve well as either a holster pistol or CCW role.

Story developing.......

1 - 20 of 46 Posts