Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am helping my friend liquidate his Dad's estate and this Ruger No. 1 is part of it. I am having trouble determining a value on it for him. It does not have the original barrel. The finish will probably clean up with some elbow grease and very fine steel wool. The sights are missing, but it does come with the scope rings. Action works great. The lever retainer pin is missing but the spring is still there. The buttpad is missing. It was manufactured in 1982. Any insight you can give would be welcome.
Caliber 45-70
Barrel Length from breach 27 1/4
Barrel diameter at muzzle 1 1/4
Face to muzzle 27
Trigger Shotgun Door Air gun Gun accessory
Water Vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive exterior
Wood Writing implement Publication Font Rectangle
Wood Asphalt Water Automotive exterior Bumper
Bumper Automotive lighting Asphalt Material property Automotive exterior
Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper Composite material Window
Wood Motor vehicle Art Vehicle door Brick

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Probably be in the minority here...I would replace the missing retainer pin and offer it in that state of "completion". Might hook in some interested shooters who see an easy project to finish.

·
Copper Bullet member
794 Posts
That's a tough one. It looks like a really neat project that shouldn't be too hard to finish, but not knowing who made the barrel blank, or who did the gunsmith work to install it, it's probably worth the value of it's parts: stock, receiver, and unknown barrel.

It reminds me of a project that I once bought. It was a Remington 700 with an unknown custom 30-06 Imp. barrel. I bought it for the value of the receiver to use in building a custom rifle of my own. I'd never messed with the '06 Improved before, but got tinkering around, fire formed some brass and reloaded them with some Lee collet dies. The darn thing shot so well that I just left it as it was! It was clearly a quality barrel, installed by someone who knew what they were doing. You just never know though. It would help if you had info on the barrel and/or gunsmith who installed it.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I’ve not seen a Number One parts/project for quite some time. And neither has 99% of the fellas reading this post. It’s got fine bones and an honorable pedigree (now somewhat blemished) and there’s a few real mechanics here that can put it right again but at what the cost time and treasure wise. Kinda like a bubba Enfield sporter if you will. I recently sold a mint quarter rib with Ruger rings, pretty sure I’ve got both styles of front sight inserts, a Number 3 rear sight base and parts and barrels show up on Evilbay, so what’s not to like about a build project? I would run it like it is with receiver sight/irons, plug the holes in the butt, a new pad, rattle can the barrel and roll the dice on its being fitted up right. The other stuff is just parts. What could probably go wrong?
My advise? Take the best reasonable offer and don’t look back. Your message bell is probably already ringing.
It’s tempting, I give you that. Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a tough one. It looks like a really neat project that shouldn't be too hard to finish, but not knowing who made the barrel blank, or who did the gunsmith work to install it, it's probably worth the value of it's parts: stock, receiver, and unknown barrel.

It reminds me of a project that I once bought. It was a Remington 700 with an unknown custom 30-06 Imp. barrel. I bought it for the value of the receiver to use in building a custom rifle of my own. I'd never messed with the '06 Improved before, but got tinkering around, fire formed some brass and reloaded them with some Lee collet dies. The darn thing shot so well that I just left it as it was! It was clearly a quality barrel, installed by someone who knew what they were doing. You just never know though. It would help if you had info on the barrel and/or gunsmith who installed it.
I think the barrel is Numerich Arms, no idea on the gunsmithing. It looks to be well done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Any idea what that value might be? I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Any idea what that value might be? I have no idea.
I'd value it at the value of an action. the stock has been opened up to fit that huge barrel, no going back on that. No idea the quality of either the barrel or the work. If it had been completed, though it has limited appeal, it would at least be salable.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,830 Posts
Thanks for the help! It will be on the way to the trader section shortly.
Long time ago, received
There were and alot of low grade a Ruger No 3 single shot in trade, had a McGowen heavy barrel
installed in 308 cal. Never had the accuracy that I expected. On your 45-70 project Ruger
No1, it would be nice to know who installed the barrel and who manufactured the barrel ? Also
when I got back the original Ruger No 3 45-70 barrel from McGowen, noticed the chamber was
crushed on one side, seems they forgot to remove the Ruger extractor, the, fools worked hard to
get that barrel out.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Looks like your project rifle was at one time fitted with scope bases near the receiver ring and about 7-8 " in front of the rear. And also near the muzzle for a globe target sight. Somewhere in your buddies father's estate may be the sights mentioned or an externally scope for that rifle. Frank

·
Registered
379 Posts
and now the rest of the story
Zman79 and I made a 'deal', he got a small pile of cash and I got the rifle. According to ruger the rifle was made in 1981 as a .223. The barrel was un-finish plain steel so I gave it a quick rust blue. it was drilled and taped for unertl type scope blocks but I added blocks for a ruger varmit barrel. The 'gunsmithing' was OK, but I've never seen a forend like that on any #1. the 'frosting' on the cake was the Kepplinger single set trigger it came with, unset it trips at 1.5 lbs and set is 8 oz. It shoots well with jacketed bullets under an inch at 100 M and cast at about 2", I'll work on that. Butt plate was $5 at a local gun show and about $30 for ejector parts.
Bicycle part Bumper Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 19 of 19 Posts