Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been working with firearms for a while now and have disassembled and reassembled my fair share, however i am stumped here and need some help.

it all started when i got back from a good day at the range and i started my strict cleaning ordeal for the firearms i just shot. i had done the basic cleaning on my ruger many times however since i had purchased it had never field striped it. well i took it apart with no problems whatsoever. i cleaned it and greased all the moving parts and hit a frustrating snag during reassembly.

for those of you with ruger 22 semi-automatic pistols, i cannot get the "bolt stop pin" to catch and collapse back into the rear of the grip. for some reason when i start to close it the pin pulls out pushing the whole assembly down making it unable to fit back in to the recess. i have read the manual over and over and still just can't seem to get my pistol back together. any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

for those of you unfamiliar with this particular model here is some referance material.

[1.43MB PDF]here is the manual on the ruger site. Disassembly starts on Page 22.

[1.18MB PDF]here is an "exploded" view of pistol. My particular model is on page six, the problem child is made up of parts 51-60.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
The same assembly that caused me lots of grief, but only once, in my Mark 1! Nice to know some things never change.
After that agonizing episode I decided it'd be lots easier (than growing a 34d and 4th arm with miniature but full strength fingers) to just hose down the pistol with a spray solvent, clean the bore and lube a bit - some gun oil in alcohol or a dip in Ed's Red seems fine for these recalcitrant assembly type pistols. Never a problem after that, no jams, great accuracy, kept shooting even after a couple bricks of dirty ammo made it spit crud out the ejection port. And I've never heard of one wearing out.

Try these sites:

http://www.mkiii.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2951

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=198478

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
I dont even try to take apart my Ruger, the best way to clean it IMO is the carburettor cleaner, it comes in a large spray that has a lot of pressure and cleans all the corners-Before cleaning i take out the plastic grips in case this solvent attacks plastic-It is a very dry solution, so after I spray it with a light oil-

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,290 Posts
Ruger reassembly for the Compleat Ijit

You can either confront reassembly head-on like a man, or avoid it as is popularly done all over the planet. My 30 year old MK I finally required teardown after several decades of the chicken method of simply hosing it down with carb spray. Eventually, it is a good idea to pop the bolt and run a couple of patches down the bore from the chamber end.

Reassembly is deceptively easy, as long as you have full use of both thumbs, and haven't yet had that 3rd cup of coffee.

OK, so you've reassembled the bolt & replaced it into the receiver. This part is easy - just be sure the hammer is in the cocked position & the bolt practically falls in on its' own. Just like intimate relations with the wife.

Next, you try to stuff the crossbolt & spring housing. Jam it in until it clicks & is fully seated into the receiver. So far, so good, you're still smarter than a 5th Grader.

NOW, here is the simple part that separates the defeatist knuckledragger mouthbreather sissies from the REAL MK I, II or III mechanic:

The hammer needs to be jiggled up into the fired position. Gotta shake & work the trigger for this part.

Now look at the hammer strut, it easily becomes lodged upon the crosspin that the spring housing hooks into. Jiggle it forward, or you can cheat with one of the wife's crocheting hook thingies.

The goal is to move the hammer strut up a little so that when you move the spring housing into position, the strut falls into place, resting atop the spring plunger. If it's out of place, the assembly wont properly lock.

Do it 3 times in rapid succession and you, too, will be a Master.

It only takes about 20 seconds to line it all up and push it in, once you know where everything goes.

It's kinda like sex ... but if you're having Ruger problems, you're prolly' ummm ... Well, OK, never mind ...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank...You...maybe...?

thats the best i can do after such a sacrastic but helpful answer to my question....

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,290 Posts
Thank...You...maybe...?

thats the best i can do after such a sacrastic but helpful answer to my question....
Look past the sarcasm to the more bland mechanics of the procedure & you'll see that it's really easy once you can see where the hammer strut hangs up & prevents proper reassembly.

·
Copper Bullet member
696 Posts
Ruger cleaning

When I first took my Ruger MKll apart to clean was an experience. Took about 15 min. to disassemble and clean and over 2 hous to put back together. I got so frustrated that I put it down and walked away for awhile. Later went back to it and some way it just went back together the way it's supposed to. Be patient and good luck.

·
Silver Bullet member
4,753 Posts
As a matter of fact, AZshooter is dead on and his explanation is as clear and lucid as you will find. The Ruger is no more difficult than any other autoloader to reassemble.

Too, as he said: Don't be satisfied to get it all together "just this time"; take the goldarned thing down again and again and get your fingers used to doing the thinking for you; this is called "kinetic memory", and once you've got it, the trick is yours.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I took my Mark 1 apart for cleaning before I bought it from a friend and reassenbled it just fine. Next time I tried i couldn't get it back together for love nor money. After reading AZ's post I MAY try it again...in 2050!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Excellent instructions, AZshooter!

"Now look at the hammer strut, it easily becomes lodged upon the crosspin that the spring housing hooks into. Jiggle it forward, or you can cheat with one of the wife's crocheting hook thingies."

All I can add is that, eventually, when you get to the step above you will be able to do the following: with the trigger finger resting on the trigger, point the muzzle up and that little piece will swing out like a pendulum. IF ON CLOSING THE LEVER/SPRING on the backstrap, you don't feel a slight resistance, don't even bother doing it; just back it up and try it again!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i finally had some free time this weekend to try re-assembling my piston and discovered a few things that were right with your instructions and some things that we not. first off i live in the Peoples Republic of Commiefornia and because of this my MKIII may be slightly different than some of you own.

first off i discovered that the hammer was the main problem. it was preventing the pin assembly from locking in to place. upon further inspection i realized that the hammer would not go in to the fired position, it would only go half way. then i found that on my pistol the magazine had to be inserted and the trigger pulled (obviously). neither of these were in the manual from Ruger or the through instructions from AZShooter. thanks for the help, suggestions, and encouragement. it did allow me to have a good benchmark to work with so i could discover the problem.

Ridiculous Commiefornia gun law strikes again!

-MrBurritoMan out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts