Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this at auction. FABRIQUE" DES ARMES DEGRANDE PRECISION "JUPITER'
I do not know what the original finish was, but it now looks like paint. Magazine is nickel
It is nice and tight, not like all my old military ruby pistols.
the nicest feature is the grips, and they are the nicest I have ever seen on a ruby
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Everyday carry
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood stain
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Everyday carry
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood stain

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I was going to suggest grips are reproduction however no one would repro them with a certainly unobtainable medallion in the center. I’ll second the use of paint….I would remove same with acetone ( remove grips first) and see what is underneath. I would not use steel wool or other scraping means while removing paint.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was going to suggest grips are reproduction however no one would repro them with a certainly unobtainable medallion in the center. I’ll second the use of paint….I would remove same with acetone ( remove grips first) and see what is underneath. I would not use steel wool or other scraping means while removing paint.
I second your sentiments about the grips, I immediately thought repros but that medallion tells another story.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,561 Posts
The French-sounding name was the trading name for Etxezagarra & Abitua of Eibar, in the Basque country, to suggest a French or Belgian origin. A quick glance would have you thinking that it might have been made by F.N....on some of the other products the 'de Guerre' has been omitted. The jury is out as to who actually made the no less than NINE different pistols bearing this name on the slide - there appears to have been a lot of cross-pollination with S.E.A.M. Many may have been made by the virtually one-man workshops that proliferated on Eibare at that time. The 'Patent Dépose 43915' is spurious - no such patent can be found in any of the usual European countries. Some have EC on the slide - this may actually be the trade-stamps for 'Etxezagarra & Cia'.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The French-sounding name was the trading name for Etxezagarra & Abitua of Eibar, in the Basque country, to suggest a French or Belgian origin. A quick glance would have you thinking that it might have been made by F.N....on some of the other products the 'de Guerre' has been omitted. The jury is out as to who actually made the no less than NINE different pistols bearing this name on the slide - there appears to have been a lot of cross-pollination with S.E.A.M. Many may have been made by the virtually one-man workshops that proliferated on Eibare at that time. The 'Patent Dépose 43915' is spurious - no such patent can be found in any of the usual European countries. Some have EC on the slide - this may actually be the trade-stamps for 'Etxezagarra & Cia'.
In Spain the term "patent" could refer to either a design patent or what we call a trademark. Patent 43915 was such a trademark, granted by the Spanish Government to Etxezárraga y Abaitua Y Cia on 8 Sep 1922 for the Jupiter name, to distinguish firearms. The EC mark was registered with the BOPI (No. 2) by Juan Etxezárraga who owned a workshop in Eibar during the 1920s. I think he was the gunmaker, and Abitua was either the business man, marketer, or capitalist. The firm owned three tradenames, the best known was the Colonial. Jupiter branded pistols are more scarce and I have never seen a Mitrailleuse, which is French for machine gun. They also made a few pistols under the Minerve tradename but never requested a trademark for the name. This firm was much better known for their distributing business which they operated under the Fabrique D’Armes de Grande Precision and associated names. Various manufacturers were contracted to supply pistols for this endeavor, I know of 13 different manufacturers under 26 different tradenames.

Below is a manual cover for the Colonial pistol, though if one judged from the cover, it would be a manual for all three of the pistol tradenames.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Font Gun accessory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts