Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didn't know where else to post this since its a soviet weapon...

Saw this video on my facebook feed. Trying to figure out whats exactly happening here that causes the RPG accident. Garbage ordinance exploding in the weapon? Did he shoot some structure in directly in front on him? Did the round get loaded in the tube wrong?

Maybe sharper eyes than mine can tell.

http://americanoverlook.com/video-t...ens-next-will-have-you-shouting-america/16289

·
Copper Bullet member
9,522 Posts
-What were they doing with the t-shirt? Perhaps there was some damage to the tube.
-We don't see the loading of the booster or rocket, so we can't tell anything about the condition of the ordnance.
-Those rockets shouldn't be armed immediately after launch, so hitting that sheet-metal roof shouldn't detonate the warhead or cause the kind of traumatic injury the shooter received.
-I don't think there was time or distance for the main rocket motor to ignite, but if it did, inside the tube, the light plastic/fiber-glass construction of the tube could not contain it.
This last is the only possible cause I can think of, but I don't think it's really likely.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,605 Posts
Seemed to me that they stuffed the thing full of rags for some reason. Not a good idea with a rocket launcher or recoiless rifle. I imagine that the pressure of the propelling charge ruptured the tube.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The first segment showed them cleaning the launcher tube with the T-Shirt.

The only thing I could think of is that the rocket motor had been dropped. I was taught as an Air Force bomb loader that if a rocket motor was dropped just a few feet it was damaged and became unservicable. The molded solid propellant cracks and has far too much exposed surface to burn. Just like the shape of gunpowder grains, the propellant depends on its shape to control burn rate. If damaged, t can detonate rather than burn.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Exactly - the full launch pressure back blast popped in his face like a 5000psi balloon.

The main shaped charge never exploded.

Can't fire an RPG when the tube is clogged with camel poop and T-shirts as all that steam has no where to go but in your face, tending to remove body parts. Same as standing behind a recoilless rifle or old bazooka - not good.

Wonder if the 72 virgins were waiting?

Seemed to me that they stuffed the thing full of rags for some reason. Not a good idea with a rocket launcher or recoiless rifle. I imagine that the pressure of the propelling charge ruptured the tube.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,522 Posts
No, they don't show them stuffing the tube full of anything, just cleaning both ends. We do see the shirt ends removed.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Maybe a spiked round, conveniently left behind by Syrian forces? That's been done, probably as long as there has been ordnance.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Who's the bad guy here- this guy fighting the Syrian govt or the Syrian govt?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Exactly - the full launch pressure back blast popped in his face like a 5000psi balloon.

The main shaped charge never exploded.

Can't fire an RPG when the tube is clogged with camel poop and T-shirts as all that steam has no where to go but in your face, tending to remove body parts. Same as standing behind a recoilless rifle or old bazooka - not good.

Wonder if the 72 virgins were waiting?
Yes, but they are all dudes. . . kinda sucks, depending.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts