Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of those Royal Tiger broken stock specials two weeks ago, mostly in hopes of getting one with some trench art. I got lucky on that, but the stock is, indeed, quite cracked. There is a bit of wood missing from the wrist, which has been repaired by hammering nails through that area. There are two longitudinal cracks running through the butt portion of the stock, to where I really think that one nail is keeping them from falling apart completely. There is also a crack on the left side of the receiver portion of the stock. Any opinions on stock repair?

Not sure if the carvings are names of people or places, but I am pretty happy with them. Any help on deciphering these markings would be greatly appreciated. The rest of the gun looks pretty good mechanically, I did have to remove the gas piston by using a punch, even after soaking the tube in mineral spirits for a long time. The head of the piston had a few burrs, so I polished it to eliminate them. It still sticks a little in the tube, but I don't think it should travel far enough back in the tube to actually get to the point where it would stick during normal firing.

Oh, when I first opened the action, a fired rifle or pistol primer came tumbling out. Neat!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I received the two that I ordered from RTI last Thursday. It was nearly 4 weeks from date of purchase to delivery. I ordered on February 7th. I have no problem with that, I was not in a rush, and I know RTI has been very busy! It's understandable for the extra 2 week delay. They mention 7-10 business days from order to ship for normal orders.

No issues really. I started tearing into them this weekend. Caked with preservative. Can't call it cosmoline because it isn't Russian, right?

Anyway, I got the cross bolts out. I used snap ring pliers on one, it came right off, it was rather loose. The other must have been peened, because it snapped the tip off my snap ring pliers, and I had to spin it off by tapping a screw driver in one of the holes on the "nut"

Unfortunately, the threads on both cross bolts seem to be somewhat mangled. What can I do about this? It would be hard to chase the threads because they are extremely fine.

I bought two replacement stocks since I ordered the gunsmith specials with broken stocks. And they are broken, no doubt about that.

One of the rifles appears to be all matching, and the other is not. Cleaning rods were intact. Even came with two cleaning kits and oil bottles, it looks like the same stuff that is included with Mosin Nagant rifles.

I'll tear in to them more next weekend and hopefully get the stocks removed entirely and thrown in the garbage. Would there be any reason that someone would want two original, cracked, Chinese stocks?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually looked up a few, and there are a lot of Gjokas on linkedin... Maybe I should contact one of them... most looked like women in the tech industry, I can't remember now. Clearly i need to go to Durres for a vacation/research trip. I guess I need to do some research on the military situation during the fall of Communism in Albania, I don't know how much use these would have had in that conflict.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I wonder if those stocks were broken intentionally or thru hard use ?

BRGDS, A

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Ill take those stocks if they're broken and have butts intact still. i like woodwork.

I received the two that I ordered from RTI last Thursday. It was nearly 4 weeks from date of purchase to delivery. I ordered on February 7th. I have no problem with that, I was not in a rush, and I know RTI has been very busy! It's understandable for the extra 2 week delay. They mention 7-10 business days from order to ship for normal orders.

No issues really. I started tearing into them this weekend. Caked with preservative. Can't call it cosmoline because it isn't Russian, right?

Anyway, I got the cross bolts out. I used snap ring pliers on one, it came right off, it was rather loose. The other must have been peened, because it snapped the tip off my snap ring pliers, and I had to spin it off by tapping a screw driver in one of the holes on the "nut"

Unfortunately, the threads on both cross bolts seem to be somewhat mangled. What can I do about this? It would be hard to chase the threads because they are extremely fine.

I bought two replacement stocks since I ordered the gunsmith specials with broken stocks. And they are broken, no doubt about that.

One of the rifles appears to be all matching, and the other is not. Cleaning rods were intact. Even came with two cleaning kits and oil bottles, it looks like the same stuff that is included with Mosin Nagant rifles.

I'll tear in to them more next weekend and hopefully get the stocks removed entirely and thrown in the garbage. Would there be any reason that someone would want two original, cracked, Chinese stocks?

I would like the stocks if the butt is there or if there cracked bad but can be worked with. I love woodworking and practicing in old stocks.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
They definitely are Albanian. There's a post on here somewhere where a trench art name on an SKS was traced via Facebook to the actual Albanian soldier who carved it, complete with his picture while in the Albanian Army. Albanian towns and names appear on many, as do dates.

I bought two from Royal Tiger -one rather beat with good trench art, one just perfect. I put the best one in a Chinese phenolic red-orange "jungle stock" as a shooter and saved the early Russian-style stock, while the other becomes mostly a cool collectible. Great buys as C&R Chinese SKSs haven't been seen often in many years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts