Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ordered one of the recent royal tiger import PUs? What kind of condition are they in? A buddy of mine is looking at ordering only one from either Rguns or royal tiger imports, which one is better? What would you go with? Could you post pics of either your Rguns or your recent royal tiger import?

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,662 Posts
I think most of the sniper guys that know would say the Rguns is the one to go with.

Has anyone ordered one of the recent royal tiger import PUs? What kind of condition are they in? A buddy of mine is looking at ordering only one from either Rguns or royal tiger imports, which one is better? What would you go with? Could you post pics of either your Rguns or your recent royal tiger import?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both a Rguns and molot, why would one go over the other? The RGUNS is nicer, but the molot tula I have is way coooler

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I agree with milprileb. He can and does shoot a lot further than most of us and sure knows snipers, as well as knowing a lot of us serious shooters. As he says, I think you will find opinions either way with experienced shooters and collectors, some pro-RGuns and some pro-MOLOT and some quite neutral.

It depends a lot on the luck of the draw in which rifle from either source you happened to get.

Apparently the very early RGuns PUs were non-refurb originals but most are refurbs. The best of the MOLOTs from Classic and AIM are absolutely first-rate shooters, though refurbs, and in very good condition. I have one of their best and it is a very fine rifle indeed.

I could own any snipers I wish and wouldn't trade my MOLOT from Classic for any RGuns, not to insult RGuns in the least.

My 43 Tula MOLOT PU is far and away the most accurate Mosin I have ever shot (and with about 100 Mosins in my collection, I have shot quite a few!), having consistently done 7/16 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards and proved accurate to 500 yards. It would shoot further but that is all the range distance I have.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,153 Posts
Probably the single nicest specimen I've seen from the two happened to be an Rguns, but I've seen plenty of Molots that were much nicer than the great majority of the Rguns. There has been all kinds of talk in the past about the Rguns import mark being less intrusive than the Molot (although the big billboard on top of the receiver isn't that unintrusive), but the recent batch of Molots imported by Group West had more restrained import marks that are about as good as it can legally get today. And a downside of the Rguns taken as a group is the way the scope number was crudely scratched out on many of them (though there are quite a few out of the group on which this wasn't done).

So in summary, the Rguns vs. Molot (IO, Group West, etc.) question has to be decided on a case-by-case basis on the merits of the individual rifle. And those who see visions of Molot manufacturing new PU snipers and cleverly "ageing" them to pass off as real can put on their aluminum foil hat and write off the Molots as an option. ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
I have neither a RGUNS or a Royal Tiger PU and I would not trade any of them I have for either of the latter imported ones. I Thank my lucky stars for buying when I did years ago. Today it is a crap shoot on what you get and I had the luxury of hand picking what I got many times. These days it is well lets see what comes to me and hoping for luck. Dam shame and I feel for collectors just making the first step. If I bought another one it would be a repro with a steel mount and anything else real about it would just be a plus. The repro a buddy has shoots as well as I can see and that now would be enough for me at a better price then the now "real" ones. Good Luck! Bill

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
and everyone knows the guys in the know on sniper rifles all say Tula is better than Izhevsk.

I don't see no Tula PU outshooting any Izhevsk PU sniper rifle... be it a R Guns Tula PU vs a R Guns Izhevsk PU or a Molot Tula PU vs. a Molot Izhevsk PU.

For a forum that maintains they are Mosin collectors and experts on " Russian sniper rifles", the lack of interest in how these rifles actually perform is amazing. The institutional bias of Tula over Izhevsk is a huge flaw in the collector mindset here. The bias of anything but R Guns PU snipers being legit is another bias that is a flaw.

Time to pull up your socks and get a focus here. Don't matter what the import mark is on a PU sniper or who made it. What matters is condition and performance.

AS FOR AGING : If Molot is crafting up parts and aging them to make PU snipers, they are second to none. My Molot PU bolt was thick rust inside, firing pin and spring pitted significantly. My stock is ugly mud looking crappy shellac and of course its a dreaded Izhevsk... the leper of all PU snipers. Otherwise, beside having these aged faults built into it, its bore is diamond bright and the rifle shoots at 1000 yds. Lets not let performance get in the way of biases and false facts about Molot PU snipers.

Really Gents: time to stop tossing chairs on the dance floor on what import marked PU sniper is best / legit . Import marks are not historic in any meaningful way and have no relevance.

Not that it matters but if you don't believe performance counts...come to Quantico this weekend, we got 4 each Mosin PU shooters on the firing line and the menu is 300, 600, 800 and 1000 yds. There will be Izhevsk and Molots in action.
Better yet: Cut out the Talk the Talk and come show us your PU and how it performs. Show us import marks shoot better and are relevant. Or if you don't have a PU and believe this fantasy of R Guns / Tula maker PU are "best", then come out and watch some of us shoot this weekend and let us rain on your parade.

And for you doubters, I will spot you a few advantages: Age 66 and I am shooting with one wrist in a damned splint .

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,662 Posts
probably, I don't know. I don't have either. The question was which one would you recommend. From what I read most of the guys would recommend Rguns. Why? You would have to ask them. I wasn't looking to start a debate just responding to the OPs question with a fact. I think if all else was equal on the rifle, condition etc. for the same money I would take the Rguns if for nothing else than they seem to bring more money if you want to sell them, same thing with the upcharges and preferences for Tula, they will bring more later. But if it is a mismatched Izhevsk with a common scope Rguns vs. a Tula matched molot with a nice stock I would go with the Molot. I personally don't have a preference and would pick based on the individual rifle not the importer. The only one I have is an early century import mark on the barrel Tula with a kazan scope which seems to be better than the ones I have examined from Rguns or Molot.

Another poster just posted a day or two ago that Rguns is down to non-matching scope PUs only....

The other problem is how long it takes for anything from Rguns to ship if you order online.

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
So back to the topic - how are the Royal Tiger snipers? Anyone have one to show?
We good on this nonsense of "those in the know" and off to comparing Non R Guns sniper rifles then ? I hope so but the fact is anyone who states something flakey and is not challenged for it gets to establish internet myths which others here grab on as facts and then.. BS rules the day.

So back on topic... what are we comparing now ? Import marks ? A PU is a PU sniper or is the RT PU some exotic breed ?

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,662 Posts
Who stated something flaky? And how is it off topic when the OP asked which would you go with Rguns or royal tiger?

We good on this nonsense of "those in the know" and off to comparing Non R Guns sniper rifles then ? I hope so but the fact is anyone who states something flakey and is not challenged for it gets to establish internet myths which others here grab on as facts and then.. BS rules the day.

So back on topic... what are we comparing now ? Import marks ? A PU is a PU sniper or is the RT PU some exotic breed ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.