Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry had to take the pic down, his site was attached and I didn't want that posted.
Anyway, the hole is about 1/2" behind the rear sight.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure, I haven't seen the rifle in person. Just was curious if anyone had any idea about why a hole would be there.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Actually, not much to 'go on'! Factually, often one barrel hole worse than two. Such in terms of two being common for securing military sights to the barrel! Questions such as 'hole' in relationship to the chamber? Depth as mentioned above! Distance from receiver. Orientation such as atop the barrel or 'otherwise'. If other than atop not likely sighting equipment.
All sorts of speculation, much of which avoidable if such as above questions positively answered.
Below some quik-pix of my Ross Model 1905 milsurp. Not to invest my time since no clear idea if this is the same genre, 'holy' rifle under consideration. Note the double screws affixing aft sight. Attention to barrel sight positioning; noted securing screw holes attendant!
Good Luck!
Best!
John

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So from what I understand the chambers were enlarged because of the conditions at the front. How do I tell if this has been done to the rifle? I'm a shooter (cast bullets)
I try to research as much as I can before buying.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
The 05 shouldn't have been altered. They did not go to the front although some were used for training in Britain. But so far as I'm aware the US contract rifles didn't get anywhere near Blighty.
It was the Mk III Ross that were modified and marked LC (large chamber). Some of the later production were produced with the EC (enlarged chamber).

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
4th Canadian Engineers?, cancellation mark, Coy. 1, Rack 76?, 3 star MkII, cancellation stamp with month 7 above and 1917 under, built 1906, no. 444 of T series. The series each of 1,000 rifles started with A, numbered from 1, then B through to Z, followed by AA,AB etc.
MkII were issued in series A to Z and AA to CR.
Can't make out the other markings.

·
Registered
588 Posts
FYI, three out of three 1905 Mk II rifles I have shot had enlarged chambers, and none were marked in any way. After firing an 8mm bullet would fall thru the case neck, and the shoulder was visibly expanded.

All were US marked.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your reply. According to the seller, the rifle was issued to the Canadian Expeditionary forces.
I have done some research on the chamber enlarging and some 1905 rifles had this done. Pictures were shown with brass cases that were quite expanded on another forum. Hoping to look at the rifle this afternoon.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay gents
I bought it, tried a fired case in the chamber. Didn't look large at all. Unless the chamber was enlarged in the case neck area. Bore is excellent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts