Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My US Ross Mk II 3* has an unlined out marking on the buttstock that reads VR/CMR/476. I'm told that the CMR is Canadian Mounted Rifles and 476 is the soldier number, but what is the VR? One suggestion was 5th Regiment, but their cap badge has a number 5 instead of the Roman V.
Any info or a source I can go to?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gerry;

The marking is unusual as VR is the mark of the Victoria Rifles and CMR that of the Canadian Mounted Rifles. During the WWI the 3rd Battalion Victoria Rifles of Canada, a Montreal regiment, formed the 24th and 60th battalions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. I have no documentation that would suggest a merger of the VR and the CMR of which there were nine battalions. I suppose that there is the possibility that your rifle was issued first to the CMR and later to the VR but I would expect to see a CMR battalion number, ie 9CMR, and a different rack number for each issue. Usually there are separate unit markings for each issue with all previous markings cancelled.

The numeric marking is a rack rather than a soldier number.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.