Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one happy camper.I picked this up the same day SpikeDD got his LSA.I've wanted a Ross forever and have never held one or even seen one for sale locally.I preferred the earlier Mks but would have settled for anything. Well the Dealer found this one and put it away for me,I finally got the chance to pick it up.I couldn't be happier with the purchase,the rifle is a MkII* and is in really nice shape.The bore is stone cold mint,I think they were afraid to fire it. It bears US proofs so I threw a spare Kerr sling on it rather than an Enfield web or leather one.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Congratulations on a nice find! Funny, I put an old Kerr sling on mine too. Took the same approach as you, go with a period US sling. Wish I could buy MKIIs at the price that the NRA sold them after WWI: $5! Even after indexing for inflation that had to be a great price.
Here's my MKII 3* along with the MKII commercial match that I just got from Rossguy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Beautiful rifle. IIRC it was the Mk.III's that had the bolt issues. If you don't mind could you tell me what it set you back?

Thanks
Kevin

I am one happy camper.I picked this up the same day SpikeDD got his LSA.I've wanted a Ross forever and have never held one or even seen one for sale locally.I preferred the earlier Mks but would have settled for anything. Well the Dealer found this one and put it away for me,I finally got the chance to pick it up.I couldn't be happier with the purchase,the rifle is a MkII* and is in really nice shape.The bore is stone cold mint,I think they were afraid to fire it. It bears US proofs so I threw a spare Kerr sling on it rather than an Enfield web or leather one.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just an aside, if you ever need little bits 'n parts try Russell at Springfield Sporters. In talking to him I found out that the 200 Ross MKIIs sold to the US Naval Acad., mentioned in The Ross Rifle Story, were sold to SS. That's where all their Ross inventory came from.
If yours is a MK I* then you truly are fortunate. Time to buy a round for your dealer! Might ask him to find a nice MLM for me!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Randy... which ever model it turns out to be it is a very nice rifle. I can't help you with the identification but it certainly was a good call to buy it.... I've only seen a handfull of those rifles and I'm kinda glad I didn't have the choice you had... there was only one on my table ;)

David

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Taking a closer look it's definitely not a MKI. The front band and the rear sight are for a MKII. The question is which version of MKII (I'm thinking 3* or 5*). I'll leave that to someone with more Ross experience (Barry, you out there?). The hood for the front sight is missing but I'm not surprised. I think many shooters remove them to get a better sight picture in low light (I did just that for my MAS45, my nearly 50 year old eyes couldn't get a good sight picture with the hood in place). And it looks like the rear handguard which goes from the back of the rear sight base to the front of the receiver ring is missing. I've seen more than a few MKIIs with the rear handguard missing. That could be a tough puppy to track down. Springfield Sporters doesn't carry much other than receiver bits but I remember getting Ross parts (Including a front sight hood for a MKIII) from Bob McCormick in Canada. He's great to deal with. Also, either Bob or Barry mentioned to me that Milarm had Ross parts but the one time I called them they weren't much help. I was invited to come on over and take a look in their Ross parts bin, but that's kinda hard for me since I'm in Baltimore and they're in Alberta! A nice gesture on their part though.
It's a really nice example and you got it for a good price. I've seen street prices on the US marked military MKIIs running from a low of $450 to a high of $950 in the last couple of years. Glad you took this one out of circulation and out of Bubba's hands (and hacksaw)!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Get a good picture of the butt stock cartouche. That will tell the story. Here is mine, A Mark II * I believe yours to be Mark II* as well but I need to see a better picture of the rear sight.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry, that's what I get for not proofreading carefully enough. I meant Mk. II*, which is a pretty tough find, maybe just as much as a Mk. I. As I said above, every one I've every seen (except in RRS) has been a Mk. II***. Post some pics, many Mk. II*s had a rollercoaster style rear sight similar to the Lange Visier sight on a Gew. 98. Every Mk. II*** I've seen has the Patterson (spelling?) Mk. II sights, which is a screw adjusted ladder sight. Problem is, Ross used a ton of different sights on his rifles. It's a good indicator though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.