Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my Romy G build but noticed the bolt carrier was very tight almost to the point of not cycling. Fired it once and the bolt carrier stayed stuck to the rear. Removed the receiver cover and the bolt carrier had slipped out of the receiver. Aaaargh! All the numbers are matching, should the receiver be blamed? This is a Global Trades receiver...

V

·
0 Posts
No .It would be your fault. Improper fitting on your part. It fixes easy .Use a recoil buffer and it wont cycle back far enough to jump out. Where is it tight ? In the closing of the bolt ? or travel in the rails? That sounds like a totaly diffrent issue.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
51,101 Posts
Sounds like there are two issues. The carrier being tight and the carrier popping out of the rails. You can look at the rails or the ejector to see if they can be causing the carrier to be tight. If the rails are bent, the ejector too long (a 5.45 type used?) or a burr can cause tightness. The carrier popping out is normally because the rear trunion is set too far back or the cutout is too large, the quickest fix for this is to use a buffer, the best fix might be to move the trunion forward (welding up old holes, reriveting).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trunnions were fitted by Global Trades as I thought at the moment that being this my first build it would be better to have them do it. They also fitted the trigger guard mag catch. I spoke to them this morning and they said they would be happy to take a look under warranty in two weeks because their FFL is expiring and there would be a two week blank period where they could do no business.

Sounds like there are two issues. The carrier being tight and the carrier popping out of the rails. You can look at the rails or the ejector to see if they can be causing the carrier to be tight. If the rails are bent, the ejector too long (a 5.45 type used?) or a burr can cause tightness. The carrier popping out is normally because the rear trunion is set too far back or the cutout is too large, the quickest fix for this is to use a buffer, the best fix might be to move the trunion forward (welding up old holes, reriveting).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trunnions, trigger guard/mag catch were fitted at Global Trades so it is not my fault.

No .It would be your fault. Improper fitting on your part. It fixes easy .Use a recoil buffer and it wont cycle back far enough to jump out. Where is it tight ? In the closing of the bolt ? or travel in the rails? That sounds like a totaly diffrent issue.

·
51,101 Posts
I wonder how they will fix this, let us know. I'd want a new receiver if they did the work.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Mine has this same problem and I fail to see how it is our "fault" as builders? I guess I don't understand, since NDS drilled the holes in the receiver and the Romanian arsenal drilled the holes in the trunion, what exactly were we (as builders) supposed to do and how were we supposed to change it? The way I remebered it, I was barely able to get my rivets into the holes simulataneously to press them. I guess I may have mis-understood the explanation I got and thought it was done wrong when it was initially assembled in Romania. I thought I just inherited a problem from the factory. I really want to know for the sake of not making that mistake again.

I guess were not all as experienced and all knowing as you are, maybe someone else could provide some more helpful information for future builders?

·
51,101 Posts
The problem is the rear trunion is too far back or the carrier slot is cut too long, I really don't see either problem as the builders fault as you are basically correct when the holes are predrilled. Still though the trunion could of been drilled slightly off so it might not be all the receiver makers fault either. IMO it can be a number of things although using a buffer will fix the problem for most of us (cheap and easy). IMO when you put it all together it's your fix, in this case when the receiver maker sets the trunions its up to them to fix....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got back my receiver from Global Trades, put my Romy kit back together, now it works fine... almost. It cycles ok when firing but still feels tight, sometimes when racked it sticks to the rear of the receiver instead of cycling freely. They fixed the problem of the bolt carrier slipping out of the receiver though. Maybe after firing a few hundred rounds it will loosen up a bit. My next receiver is coming from NoDak Spud...

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Put a drop or two of oil on the rails and go have fun with it at the range for an afternoon it will loosen up But if it will chamber a round and fire and eject fine I wouldnt loose sleep over it

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
I`ve noticed that on some of the romys 1 rivet on the front trunnion is way off, in any event no 2 trunnions are the same, its best to test fit everything first, and its not uncommon to find a 545 ejector in a 762 receiver in the Armory receivers,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts