Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got one of the parts kits frome Cope's, with the front pistol grip. the markings indicate that the gun was made in 1978. What's the story on this model? I can find a lot on the web about how to fix one up with compliance parts, etc., but almost nothing on the history of Romy made military AK's. When did they start/stop making these [MILITARY VERSION, not Commercial Semis]?

Also, what's the best way to get the rivets off the junk part of the cut receiver that's left so I can get the good parts to use.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,548 Posts
The Romy 'G' kits are the Civil Guard rifles produced for the Romanian home guard. They were not heavily used in most cases and are in great shape. Superior to the WASR, SAR and WUM Romanian rifles that were assembled for export. The G's were produced until the middle/late 1980's. The pre-1980 kits are generally of a bit better quality than later but are all pretty good.
Go to AKFORUM or AKFILES for kit demillimg and building information. There are tutorials and even CD's on "how to". You will need some basic tools such as a grinder and a drill press is a good thing. Think Harbor Freight if you do not have these.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

The Romy 'G' kits are the Civil Guard rifles produced for the Romanian home guard. They were not heavily used in most cases and are in great shape. Superior to the WASR, SAR and WUM Romanian rifles that were assembled for export. The G's were produced until the middle/late 1980's. The pre-1980 kits are generally of a bit better quality than later but are all pretty good.
Go to AKFORUM or AKFILES for kit demillimg and building information. There are tutorials and even CD's on "how to". You will need some basic tools such as a grinder and a drill press is a good thing. Think Harbor Freight if you do not have these.
Good Luck.
That group would be what was called the "Patriotic Guard". I have photos of them on parade and in field exercises around a factory. I had seen at least one of these, notable for the handguard pistol grip, in some TV footage from Iraq. One of the Iraqi groups had them. The bore on mine is beautiful and I want to get to work cleaning up the stock in the next week or so. Does anyone have the URL for the above sites?

·
Registered
125 Posts
That group would be what was called the "Patriotic Guard". I have photos of them on parade and in field exercises around a factory. I had seen at least one of these, notable for the handguard pistol grip, in some TV footage from Iraq. One of the Iraqi groups had them. The bore on mine is beautiful and I want to get to work cleaning up the stock in the next week or so. Does anyone have the URL for the above sites?
Judging from the pictures it would appear that they have AK variants from all over the place in Iraq. I've seen AMD-63s & 65s, Yugos of various types, East German, Romanian, Chinese, even a few of the old milled receiver rifles from time to time. Kind of interesting to me.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Judging from the pictures it would appear that they have AK variants from all over the place in Iraq. I've seen AMD-63s & 65s, Yugos of various types, East German, Romanian, Chinese, even a few of the old milled receiver rifles from time to time. Kind of interesting to me.
I wonder if these are guns that are left over from Saddam's time or smuggled in later? Maybe a little of both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am by no means an expert on anything Romanian but just from casual observation at my local gunshow, it appears the Romanian "G" rifles were manufactured from approx. 1975/1976 to sometime in 1986. The Regime was pretty broke by the time of the late 1980's and didn't have a whole lot of money left to spend on rifles no one ever going to shoot! I've yet to see a "G" rifle that seemed to have more than a handful of Cugir Arsenal proof-rounds thru it. I'd almost swear they were ALL new when demilled. These early rifles/kits also look like Mercedes-Benz's compared to the WASR's imported by Century et all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've yet to see a "G" rifle that seemed to have more than a handful of Cugir Arsenal proof-rounds thru it. I'd almost swear they were ALL new when demilled.
Yeah, that's pretty much what mine (from 1986) was like, no wear marks on any of the moving parts that I could see. Breech face even still had a sharp edge on it that steel-cased ammo is gradually smoothing out. The Romy G kits make for a nice yet inexpensive build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts