Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won this at auction in December and it finally arrived today. Definitely a big one to check off of my list for my WWII rifle collection!

The stock is the original matching one. The bolt is a mismatch, but the bolt body is a Romanian contract one. The bolt components are a mixture of unnumbered German and Czech. The rifle is not import marked.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Does anyone know where the crested examples came from? Did the Germans confiscate Romanian arms after the latter switched sides in '44? I know the Germans and Hungarians took large numbers of Romanians prisoners in the battles that followed in the autumn. The how, when and from where is interesting to me.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know where the crested examples came from? Did the Germans confiscate Romanian arms after the latter switched sides in '44? I know the Germans and Hungarians took large numbers of Romanians prisoners in the battles that followed in the autumn. The how, when and from where is interesting to me.
Not sure about ones like mine that lack import markings.

Here's one that is import marked which sold recently. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=456282497

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Very nice! The crested ones are few and far between. Hard to say how it got here. Could have ended up in German control and came in as a vet bring back as you speculated.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,197 Posts
Congrats on getting a very hard to find crest. I was watching the one on Gunbroker but it went way beyond what I wanted to spend. I'll just have to make do with my slightly scrubbed crest unless I find a sleeper somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on getting a very hard to find crest. I was watching the one on Gunbroker but it went way beyond what I wanted to spend. I'll just have to make do with my slightly scrubbed crest unless I find a sleeper somewhere.
I ended up having to pay for this one unfortunately. If you look in the bid history of the other one, you'll see that I took it fairly high. In hindsight, i'm glad I lost on getting that one though since it is import marked and mine isn't. I thought I might eventually come across one at a gun show or something, but these two are the first I can recall seeing sell since I started collecting in about 2008. They seem to be quite few and far between. I already had a 1940 dated example, but I figure that this King Carol crested example is about the best Romanian WWII rifle example I'll likely ever find as the dated examples were few in production number, so I took advantage of acquiring a King Carol one while I could. Now I need a King Michael crested example, but I wouldn't be surprised if I never get to acquire one of those!

Attachments

·
15,197 Posts
And a partially scrubbed King Michael. The seller said it was a weak strike.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congratulations! I also bid on this very item, but stopped
a few dollars below the sale price. I think it is worth it --
if I did not have a similar one already I'd go a little higher.
I am glad it is in good hands!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congratulations! I also bid on this very item, but stopped
a few dollars below the sale price. I think it is worth it --
if I did not have a similar one already I'd go a little higher.
I am glad it is in good hands!
Thanks. I see you bid on the gun broker one as well (took that one a little bit higher than me actually). Weird to see two sell so close together in time. It seems like I often see several all of the same type of random uncommon rifles selling around the same time. I'm not quite sure what drives this phenomenon. This rifle at least I think has been in the country for quite a long time. Did you see the other lots that were in that auction? I think some old collector died or something and his entire collection was liquidated. There was a ton of some really great stuff in it! Not just Mausers either. So, I think in this case, these two King Carol crested VZ.24's selling close together was just coincidence, especially since the gun broker one sold before this one did.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is curious, but I also see "bursts" of similar items showing up for sale. It was a very interesting auction indeed! Most estimates were way off. It seems they just tagged all first half 20th century military rifles with the $200-300 estimates regardless of collectability. I did get a couple of items, but this belongs in another thread! :)

If anyone has an unscrubbed Regele Mihai VZ.24 I'm interested!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That and a few other reasons (like the fact that many were covered in the same kind of old grease and had old white grease pen in the markings) were why I think many of the rifles were from one collection of someone deceased (or otherwise incapacitated). The descriptions read like they were written by someone with nothing but the most introductory knowledge of what they were describing. The pictures were also lacking in some cases. But, the collection itself had a high number of pieces that no one with that little education about WWII era rifles would likely have ever acquired. I lost out on most of what I bid on, but I was lucky enough to win this which was one of the things that I wanted most from the auction.

·
15,197 Posts
On June 28 I bought an unscrubbed King Carol crest VZ24 rifle from a gun store in NH. UPS "lost" it on on July 10 when it was supposed to be “out for delivery” (by a substitute driver) but was never delivered. On July 20 UPS said “claim issued”, indicating they were going to refund something to the shipper.

The gun store gave me a full refund later.

Watch out for the s/n CR24148; this rifle is stolen.

I will just have to make do with my partially scrubbed crest rifle.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts