Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody removed the extractor from a Romanian Tokarev? I have two that need a good cleaning, but I haven't been able to tap out the extractor retaining pin from either one. I don't want to beat on it too hard. What's the secret?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just finished cleaning one of my two newly received Romanian Toks. I too could not get the extractor pin to budge. I supported it well and hit it pretty hard repeatedly. It's going to stay where it is. They pistol seemed pretty clean and oiled, so additional oiling during cleaning should keep it clean and operable.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
IJ is right, but you better not give up. High temp water can/will penetrate all internal parts of the slide and sit there and rust if you do not get the pin out.

It WORKS, but do not quit if you try it. Make sure you DO remove the pin and then dry and oil the slide. Placing in a warm oven at 150 degrees {no higher} for a few hours should dry it out IF the pin is removed and probably would suffice if not.

Trouble is, a degreased, dry slide makes for sticky removal of parts unless oiled, so if you do boil it in water, you may find you need to do the next step anyhow.

That step is;

NOWHERE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME OF ANY SORT!!

Remove the slide,

Put it is a pan of 2/3 kerosene, 1/3 paint thinner and let sit for about a week. If it can be moved, it likely will be moved with this method. If it doesn't go anywhere, you are not worse for wear. You can also do similar with about 1/3 motor oil and 2/3 paint thinner.

NOT turpentine.

A capable jar with a lid is preferable to keep fumes from leaving the jar.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hot water and oil...

So if I understand right, the extractor pin can actually be removed from a Romanian without any secret tricks... it's just stuck in there extra tight and needs some encouragement maybe by way of hot water and oil. Right? I see people just tap them straight out from Norincos all the time but haven't heard anyone say it works the same for a Romanian.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I concur with 9.3X57's mehod recommended. Oh and they a vapor not fumes though. Gas free engineering tell you that fumes are from combustion and vapors are what comes off fuel and falamable liquids. Which is also bad to inhale very much of. Oh and if you have a attached garage that may have a gas water heater in the corner, it is not a good idea to do it there un-less in a closed container as far away as possible. then take it outside to get rid of it. can say how, but you will figure it out. Anotther method is to use carb cleaner with with that neat little plastic tube that they alway have on the side of the can. works great, and does the job right then and now. but the other method works as well, on one that may be caked with that cosmo stuff they apply. Oh and make sure you lub it well after cleaning (all moving parts including the slide) with some(very little) light gun oil of your choice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No joke...

Please tell me you are joking.
Here's one of several examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skZQzrImOCo

at about 3:30. (Earlier, this guy knocks out the split firing pin retainer pin with a straight punch... ouch.)

So I'm wondering if there's a notch or a step on the pin that holds the Romanian extractor in place so you would have to relieve spring pressure before the pin would come out. Just wondering. I have three Romanians, and none come out with reasonable hammering.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it!

You wouldn't think just being stuck in there for 55 years would make that pesky extractor retaining pin on the Romanian Tokarev so darn hard to get out. I bent a cheap "El Crappo" punch from Lowe's but finally got it out with a good 3/32" Starrett straight punch from Brownell's after a good soaking in penetrating oil.

Sure enough, it's a plain straight pin, so there are no tricks. But I'm always a bit cautious with a mechanism I'm not familiar with because there are times when just whacking out a pin will destroy something, like with the trigger guard pivot pin on a Makarov, or the trigger guard latch pin on some cz 82s. So thanks to all y'all for your advice.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had thought this was a slightly tapered pin and would suggest you check it carefully for taper before re-installing it. Perhaps this is nothing but an old assumption on my part. Not surprised that some folks knock them out of Norincos with ease. Most, if not all of the Norinco TT-33s you'll encounter here in the US were slapped together for export sales -- clearly not made to mil specs. Personally, I wouldn't strip the extractor out of a TT-33 unless a repair was needed. This would have been an armorer only job in military service and the guns earned their reputation as rock solid performers under the worst imaginable conditions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.